Monday, October 04, 2010

Digging the Day

There is little in Boquete retirement to get your heart pounding, your pulse racing, and your undivided attention apart from the odd coral snake, baseball size tarantulas, scorpions, floods, earthquakes, strange noises in the night, (What-the-hell-was-that?) and the fear that Tea Party members might at this very moment be en-route to our happy home. It is little wonder then, that I find Football Season so much fun. Big Fun, in fact, which as you know is my highest rating.

My team, the Denver Broncos get short shrift from the national sports media so I...(Wait a minute. Short shrift? I don't think I've ever used that before. I better look it up. It means a quick confession to, and then absolution by, a priest. Who would a thunk it?) Anyway, the Broncos get a short one of those and I get little news of them during the week. Sundays, though, when they play, I am tuned in adrenaline at the ready, nerves all a-jitter, apprehension and excitement battling for space in my consciousness. I am, quite literally, a nervous wreck. And that, Sportfans, is what I call Big Fun! I mean, who wouldn't like that? Oh sure, there's always those people in their right minds, but be serious, nobody pays any attention to them. When the Broncos win, as they did yesterday - this winning thing an occurrence that for several years now only happens about half the time - I have noticed that the sun shines brighter, food and drink taste better, there are fewer alien abductions, and the face in my mirror looks goofily happy a degree more than is usual. The entire week following the game will be more pleasantly spent.

That said, I will now begin doing it, that pleasantly spending it part, because next week...well, it's not looking so good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the only thing enjoyable about football is hanging out with your parents, their friends, and a bunch of other kids. can't replicate that, so i'll pass. but you go ahead with your big bad fun!

#2son said...

Word! I couldn't have said it better. Especially the part about next week. Strange how a bird can stop a horse from running. But we know that's coming.

#1 Son said...

These horses can't run. They can throw and catch though.