Thursday, August 31, 2006

The New What?

A Yahoo news headline says 60 is the new 45. I didn't read the article ( yes I did, but only after writing this and it changed nothing) but I assume they're talking age because if it's just numbers then the newest new math promises to be as confusing as the last one. The old math, now that was good one. It's why we were given fingers and toes which to this day gives us an advantage over animals lacking in the digit department. But I'm not here to talk about numbers, I'm here to talk about...well, whatever I want. 60 being the new 45 for instance. I understand the reference of course, one can still be vital, striving, climbing, achieving, acquiring, grasping and amassing at 60 because there is no need to slow down now that good drugs and plastic surgery are available, but I have to ask why would, uh, one? Granted I never understood the reason for all of that wheel spinning in the first place beyond obtaining the essentials of life like food, clothing, shelter, a good book and a good time, but if society or the government or the forces for evil like The Yankees, Darth Vader and Dubya are now telling the populace they should be busting their collective asses at 60 just like they did at 45, then Monkeymind, a guy who has lived both those ages is here to tell you don't do it! And, if you don't believe him, listen to Shakespeare, Buddha, Tuesdayswithmorie, and Herb Leviticus a close friend of mine who ghost wrote parts of the Bible, when they tell you there is a season for all things. Around 60 begins the season of Choice. If you are among the fortunate few who have lived the life you have wanted all along, then by all means carry on as if 45 were your permanent age. If not, it's time to rethink, reevaluate, replan and renew. It's time to quit being "another brick in the wall" and to move on to what YOU want to do. I have. For me 65 is the new 12. Let's go play some ball.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that doesn't give you license to be with other 12 year olds!