Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fighting Words

Barack N'Roll!

Woowoo Charly and I had a big fight Monday. Here's how it went.

Me: Did not. She: Did to.

After that we agreed to disagree and went back to whatever it was we were doing before the brouhaha.

Okay, it was not exactly Ali/Frazier but for us it constituted war. I'll bet my blood pressure rose an entire degree and I could tell that Charly was prepared to go all the way to "oh yeah" or even another "did to." We are just not contentious types. At least, not anymore. Besides, it's hard to get riled over much when you're laid back, watching the sunset over Volcan Baru, there's a good dog lying at your feet, a cool drink's in your hand and you're making plans for a day at the beach or an outing at the golf course or just doing more of the same. Why the other day I was even able to say Bush twice without swearing or having the hair on the back of my neck stand up and prickle.

It's very fashionable of late to say of another that he or she is "competitive." It's an apellation meant as a compliment and I agree it is, if you are talking about sports or games. For day to day life though, give me cooperation every time. In life there is always someone richer, better looking, more successful, in fact, more or better in any way you care to measure. In other words, if you see life as a competition...you lose. It's best, I think, to live life, to enjoy life, to savor life than to play it as a me against you kind of thing.

Yeah, yeah,I know, I'm preaching, teaching and reaching for philosophy that exceeds my grasp. I should leave that for the world's thinkers and get back to making funny, my bag, such as it is. Either that or pick a fight with my wife.

"Hey Charly, your mother wears combat boots!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew how to get mad. You know, in a healthy, get-it-all-out-without-doing-any-damage kind of way.