Sunday, July 13, 2008

Goddesses Past and Wines Future

The sky this morning is...up there where it is supposed to be. The temperature is in the seventies as always and the sun, though not visible from my office windows, is lighting up our part of the world nicely. It's a useful thing, the sun. Fact is, if I was starting my own religion, the sun would play a major role. And so would golf. Those two entwine neatly. I would also have a Goddess-of-the Month club because, frankly, I don't worship guys. I am one. Here are a few of the goddesses I have worshiped in the past: The actress girl who goes down the hole in the movie Alice in Wonderland and promptly turns into a cartoon character. I don't know her name. Now that I think of it, I kind of liked the cartoon girl too. The ice skaters Barbra Ann Britton when I was a teen and later on, Peggy Fleming. This list does not include goddesses I got to know personally as like Groucho Marx who wouldn't join a club that had him as a member, goddesses all lost their stature by having contact with me. The only exception to that rule being Woowoo Charly the most beautiful woman I have ever seen up close and who has now been hanging around with me for 32 years. Silver Screen goddesses include Bridgit Bardot, Janet Leigh, Jane Russell, Maureen OHara, who is possibly the most beautiful woman I've never seen up close, a preteen and teen Elizabeth Taylor, she was never tall enough for me after that and most recently Haile Berry and Jennifer Garner. I also dug the models Twiggy and Sheryl Tiegs. Memory fails in my middle years but there must have been several others between that sort of 1950's,60's list and now, but they failed to register lastingly. Bond girls maybe. In my religion all deemed goddesses would be granted audience with me the high priest...when I wasn't playing golf...in the sunshine.

And there would be wine, which is what I was originally going to write about, but got carried away; a thing as you know, the Monkeymind is wont to do. We have recently been given as gifts for favors tendered some 15 or 16 bottles of wine of a quality far superior to that we are accustomed to drinking. As I decant (there's a word I've never written before) each bottle I look it up on my Funk and Internetals to learn about what we are about to imbibe. Last night we had a Zaccardi Tempranilla 2002 from Argentina. Sometimes when reading descriptions of wine they sound like descriptions of goddesses. This was not one of those times. "Big bouquet of berries and vanilla on the nose." (plastic surgery would surely be required to alleviate that) "Smooth and round core. (I prefer flat with lumpy highlights to round. Smooth though, is good.) "Soft luxurious finish with raisin notes." (Raisin notes? Don't they have creams for that?)The wine was excellent with a potent flavor that required sipping versus the swig it down over ice wine we usually buy. I'm looking forward to decanting the rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't decant a double negative? Or is that discant?
I like my wines absurd yet flacid.

Jessica Biel.