Monday, July 28, 2008

Sports on the Brain

Alrighty then! Son T is okay. See his comment on the last blog.

I'm still in limbo though. The NFL season looms on the horizon but it's a far horizon.(Good title for a book or movie, that) Yeah, I know, the Olympics are coming up shortly to bridge to that FH, but the Olys have not been the same since the networks determined that more women watch them than men. Now instead of boxing, wrestling, judo, hoops and the like, primetime is more likely to be airing 60 pound girls somersaulting and synchronized ribbon waving. The last two weeks are still reserved for track and field though, which, to my way of thinking,(if what the Monkeymind does can be called thinking)is the essence of the Olympics and always the best part. I'll be dialed in for those. Compounding the countdown to kickoff this year is a notice I have just received that Direct TV has been purchased here in Panama by Sky TV and someone will be along soon to change out our satellite dish. Hmmmm. Will the programming be the same? Will it cost the same? Does Sky TV have an NFL package and will Troy dump Judy and live happily ever after with Gail? I need to know these things. Until I do it's more limbo.

And speaking of sports Sport, I have a few personal observations that need to see the light of day to determine if it is just me or if it is me AND you. For instance, I am tired of Bret Favre. He needs to go to a far away land and never be heard from again. I am also over the likes of Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Pacman Jones, Manny Ramirez (yes that's right, I'm sick of Manny being Manny) John Daly, Shack and Koby, Mike Tyson and, well, any other sports figure who is in the news for any reason other than playing their sport. I am also sick of the media dragging these off-the-field stories endlessly out. Are you with me? Do I hear an amen? (Read this paragraph as a whine and you will actually sense me morphing into Andy Rooney who is not nearly as funny as his brother Mickey or as talented as his other brother, Wayne, who plays for Manchester United.)

Well sure I watched The Espys last night. Why do you think I have sports on the brain this morning? Football head injury? Okay, besides that? I thought it was a terrific show and Justin Timberlake was the best host the Espys have had so far. I mean the guy was funny and his big production number featuring a cast of a whole lot was truly memorable. I picked the winner from the choices given of every category but the last one, Best Team of '08. Their voters went with The Celtics. I had the University of Kansas for their NCAA hoops championship. Best male athlete was Tiger, best female was hoopster Candace Parker. After the televised portion of the show was over, the lesser awards were handed out. I finished runner up to a guy who marks his Titleists LJ as the best old, broken down, clueless, still looking for a golf swing, retired, amateur golfer. I'll get him next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say special thanks to SpecialK and DZ for the nice messages, good vibes, and support, and to Homer for the constant phone calls to make me laugh even though it hurt. Or...because it hurt, yeah that's it.

Anonymous said...

I also want to say that I have seen my fear. Not those little, Oh I have to talk in front of 100 people, or there might be a shark under my surfboard kind of fears, I mean the wake up in the night sweating and screaming someone help me kind of fear...It's a little old Jewish guy named Barry with a scalpel and a consent form. Scary shit. You should name a golf hole after him. Call it the thoracoscopy hole.

Zendoc said...

We shared a goodly chunk of your fear #2, so DON'T EVER do that again or I will ground you, take away your TV privelidges and let #1son do whatever he wants to you.