Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Memories, And I'm Not Talking Nostalgia

Not that I'm worried, mind you, but last week I forgot my ATM pin number. I've only used it a thousand times or so, so it wasn't really etched in my memory like, say, my wife whatsername's name, but really, I thought I had it down. I stood there bewitched, bothered and that other one that starts with b and wondered if I was losing it. I don't really remember what IT is, but whatever it is, I'm sure I want to keep it. There are things we seniors? elderly? fogies? are supposed to do to preserve our data banks; things like doing crossword puzzles, learning a new language and memorizing stuff. These are not only puted, they are reputed to keep the old gray matter sizzling. Well I do all those things and still I forgot my pin number. For now I'm going to blame it on the rain. I'm going to put one of those "slippery when wet" signs on my forehead to explain why this and that slip my mind. Later, I'll come up with a better excuse. Remind me.

Aside: One thing I've noticed about crossword puzzles is that very few of the words are actually cross words. Most of them are quite benign.

I've completely forgotten what I was going to write in this paragraph, so I'll skip it and go right to the next.

As for learning a new language, now that I have mastered Spanish, (Yeehah!) I'm considering tackling English. There are a lot of movies shown on television here that are made in England and I would really like to know what the people in them are saying. Woowoo Charly and I continually turn to each other during these movies and ask, "did you get any of that?" The answer is always, "not a word." I'm told that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn along with Chinese and Australian, but I figure if I want to keep the old synapses (I forget exactly what synapse are) firing, I should take on something challenging. So... English it is.

No comments: