Thursday, January 17, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Now I sit me down to blog, I pray my muse my brain unclog.
If I should lie it's no mistake, I pray my muse it funny make.


A horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, "hey buddy, why the long face?" This is one of my favorite jokes which gives you an indication why some people suspect that behind my ancient exterior lies the mind of a ten year old. (They could be right.) Why this comes to that fourth grade mind is that a horse walked up our driveway - a rock and dirt swath cut through the jungle leading to our house - last night at roughly the middle of that night; middle of the night being defined as any time one is awakened unexpectedly in the dark. Gus, of course, barked. Here I have to mention that apart from the fridge periodically dropping newly minted cubes into a bin our new concrete and steel house makes no internal noises. It is a very quiet house. There are only the wind, distant dogs and roosters who don't understand the grand scheme of things to listen to in the night. When Gus began to bark into this sound vacuum it had about the same effect that a bowling ball striking the pins would have during a moment of silent prayer. It was loud, very loud. Even the horse thought it was loud. Following Gus'lead "I leaped from my bed to see what was the matter" and was rewarded with a glimpse of the steed retracing his steps down the drive. He was riderless, a thing I found somehow comforting. I mean I don't need mysterious horseman galloping about the premises while we are trying to catch our zzzzz's. After explaining to RTGFKAR, who had also been roused, that it was just a horse, "A horse?" I flicked off the lights and went back to bed to await the dawn, a part of the day which comes much too soon. Or at least it seems so today.

The blog barrier now officially fallen, the Monkeymind rests. Or wants to. Trouble is, there are these men outside, sawing, drilling, hammering and generally disturbing my wah as they finish off some external house trim projects. Ah well, tonight is another night. Maybe there will be no animal tales to relate. Did I tell you about the stray huskie the night before the horse? No? Okay, maybe tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't go wakuh wakuh without a wah. Glad to hear you have one.

Hey #1, how's your email? Don't worry, there's no "reply all" on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh- I get it... A night-mare! Ha ha ha!

I still can't get over your comment about "switching the light"- that actually works?!?

Don't forget to check out WallWords and let me know what size and typeface you want!

xoxoxo
-Spawn of the Wrayjay

Anonymous said...

The horse just wanted to check out the house, don't you think?

Guess Gus isn't a horse whisperer.

xox

ps. love the joke.

Zendoc said...

...without a wah wah peddle. I remember that.

You pick the typeface, something readable and make them about 1" high. You've got the quote.

Unknown said...

So happy to see the return of the monkeymind