Saturday, January 19, 2008

Just thought I'd Mention It

We have a bird that lives off to our left in the tall trees that makes a noise eerily similar to the sound Hitchcock used in "Psycho" when stabbing his victims. Yeeeeeep yeeeeeep yeeeeeep yeeeeeep. Can you hear it?

I mention this because, well, I'm the kind of guy who mentions things and really, what would you know without guys like me? Would you know, for instance, that at this very moment I can see our dog Gus eating a fruit that is a cross between a banana and a plantain called, I think, a dominico? We set a bunch of these on a rock overlooking the coffee plants to our fore as bird enticers not dog food, but Gus who roams about untethered these days, likes to separate one from the bunch and carry it around awhile. This is, of course, normal dog behavior. Normal dog behavior being defined as anything that completely baffles moderately intelligent people. I for one, understand him completely.

And other things you wouldn't know unless I mentioned it include our living here in the new as yet unnamed casa for ten or twelve days - who's counting - sans electricity. And right there, in one sentence, I threw in words from English, Spanish and French. Makes me glad I had to attend a class or two on my way to practice. We did have the use of a small generator that weighed more than an offensive lineman and made a sound louder than your grandpa snoring that we fired up sparingly. We found that candles and lanterns induced a more pleasant ambiance. Ambiance, by the way, is also a french word unless you pronounce it am-bee-ants, in which case, well, I'm so sorry. I could wax poetic about our adventures during the blackout if I knew what waxing poetic meant - I missed that class - but I will go on about friends and neighbors Lonnie and Barry, I mean Bonnie and Larry, who fed us frequently, listened to our gripeing and only used the cattle prod on me once to move me from the sofa in front of the football game. Thanks B and L and also muchas gracias, merci beaucoup and danka come back Shane.

Now that electricity has been granted us by the powers that be and Julio who throws the switches, we are all happy as clams which is a cliche - wow more French - that I choose to use because, c'mon, what's happier than a clam? Certainly not that damn Anthony Perkins bird. Yeeeeeep yeeeeeep yeeeeeep yeeeeeep.

I'm hoping it's migratory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're such a polyglot.

Zendoc said...

Who you calling Polly? You one languaged wimp.

Unknown said...

Have you seen the bird yet, and what time of day does it like to do its stabbing?