Monday, January 28, 2008

A Quote By Any Other Name...

Spawn says I should start a blog with this quote: "Let not art such labor make that living beauty we forsake."

Okay, now I've done that.

It's a good quote as quotes go and a nice rhyme too. That "art such labor make" part is a little tricky, but I think I get the gist. If art's giving you trouble, dump it and find yourself a "living beauty." Living beauties, by the way, are always preferable to the other kind.

I like this quote from Benny Franklin: " In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." A friend wrote and followed this with a study that shows that if you drink a liter of water a day, by the end of a year you will have consumed a kilo of e coli from feces. In other words, you are drinking poop. "Better" she says, "to drink wine and be a little stupid, than to drink water and be full of shit." Now that's a good quote.

I used to have a Bartlett's, but I left it behind when we departed The States. Bartlett's are great for inspiration and finding out "who said that." If I had one now I'd look up the author of Spawn's quote. If I had to guess though, I'd say Shakespeare, because old Willy popped off on about every subject known to man. I'm sure he wouldn't leave art untouched. Too bad he's not around today. He'd be a great blogger to follow.

"RTGFKAR oh RTGFKAR, where forth goeth thou RTGFKAR? Doth not thy travels Daveed include? In search of yon Pricesmart for beverage and food? And doth it not follow as the night follows day, that fair Charly of Woo in the garden doth play? And what of old Doak who sits still and small write-eth, doth not the dawn of a new thought excite-eth? These are the queries that shalt not be forsaken, lest the faithful abandon my sweet blog and read Bacon's."

Yup, Willy would be fun. Wish I could write like that.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seen the book THE MOST BRILLIANT THOUGHTS OF ALL TIME IN TWO LINES OR LESS?
Think I might have to send that one your way.

Unknown said...

Nevermind about that book. I'll find a better one for you...

Zendoc said...

Alrighty then. Send away.

Anonymous said...

Dead Beauties? That reminds me of a lymerick: I once knew a man named Dave...

Anonymous said...

I love that one,#2