Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Wine and the Woowoo Code

My head hurts. And I've lost my watch.

The first is from drinking too much wine during and after dinner last night. The second was the result of failing to follow The Woowoo Code.

The conversation was engaging and no one really wanted to leave the table after it was cleared. Bottles of wine kept magically appearing and when I wasn't filling someone else's glass they were filling mine. Alan was telling George Plimpton stories - they had shared a few jungle adventures together and Plimpton was a notorious prankster - and the wine flowed like water. Red water. Plimpton, for those of you to whom the name rings no bells, was the author of "Paper Lion" and many other books. His schtick was to pretend he was a professional at some chosen endeavor and then see what happens. In "Paper Lion" he shows up at the Detroit Lions training camp and poses as a rookie quarterback. Other adventures includ being knocked out by Archie Moore while posing as a boxer, playing a heavy in a John Wayne western, and giving the trapeze a go during a circus gig. Alan told the tale of a heavily disguised with make-up Plimpton pretending to be a cobra salesman to a group of tourists in India. Good stuff, do go on, more wine please.

As for the watch, well, yesterday I failed to apologise to the coffee trees before hacking, chopping and sawing them down. This is a clear violation of The Woowoo Code, Woowoo Charly tells me and it's little wonder that sometime during the deforestation, a limb reached out and snatched the watch from my wrist. I don't know what I will have to do to atone for my lapse, but I'm sure it will have something to do with crystals, shiny stones and talking to the universe. I'm going to ask Woowoo Charly right after I ask her the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.