Saturday, January 26, 2008

Is Golf in the Offing?

Immaculate blue sky this morning. Looks like it was painted up there. Mountains are in such sharp relief I'd swear someone moved them closer. There is a breeze though, shaking the banana trees and rippling through the coffee. Makes the day perfect, I suppose, if you like breezes. I'm a still air man myself. If I want to feel air I'll move through it at a faster clip.

Woowoo Charly and RTGFKAR take their morning cuppa java out on the patio. They're out there now greeting the day. Hello day. Being the Last of the Great Indoorsmen and a Morning Person - a type universally avoided in the A.M. by those who are not - I'm compelled to get right to it. This morning's it is this blog.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the out-of-doors, golf, walking my dog and cocktailing with cigar in hand while saluting the setting sun from a comfortable chair at rest on lawn, patio or balcony comprise three of my favorite things to do, I just find dwelling in my cave with book, keyboard or remote in hand equally attractive endeavors which have the added advantage of being without weather. Ain't no breeze screwing with my golf ball in here.

Which brings me to today's topic. I can't see it from this, my office vista, but I know that over that rise obliquely to my left and then down the road a bit followed by a sharp right into a hidden valley is a golf course in a place called - wow what a coincidence - Hidden Valley. It's true, they use the Spanish Valle Escondido, but a hidden valley by any other name is still a hidden valley is what Shakespeare would have said if he hadn't stumbled on that rose thing. And it is there I long to go. There amidst the stately homes of the rich, the very rich and the heavily mortgaged lie nine beautifully appointed golf holes eager to accept my humble offerings of double bogies, bogies, a here and there par and an occasional birdie. There is a sound a golf ball makes as it rattles into the cup that I've nearly forgotten. It is a sound as pleasing as the last note of a grand symphony and one that is nowhere duplicated in nature. I must hear that sound anew anon or I fear it will be lost forever. In short I'm jonesing and I need a fix.

I'm busy today though. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas quote is on the way... at least to me. I'll send it along.
What happened to starting the blog off with one? Here's one I like:
"Let not art such labor make that living beauty we forsake"
Whether birdy, bogey or blog, getting there is half the fun! I've got that view of yours in my mind's eye- enjoy it for all of us!

Zendoc said...

Alrighty then! I'll see what I can do.