Monday, December 29, 2008

Crawling to the Finish

Doldrums. End of year doldrums. Feel like I haven't had a novel thought or turned a clever phrase in weeks. Probably haven't. Standing at the starting line of the new year shaking out the legs, stretching, waiting for the ready, set, go part. What will 2009 bring? More of the same? A not too bad proposition; more golf, more books, more blank screens to fill with nonsense. More family, more friends, more of life-its-own self. So what am I waiting for, let's get on with it. Nope, can't do it. That's jumping the gun. A false start. Have to wait. Be patient. Hold back those resolutions. Have to FINISH this year. Must be how Obama feels.

And speaking of finishing, I finished two light reads last week, if books of murder and mayhem can be called light. The first an Elmore Leonard oldie entitled "Killshot", and the second a T. Jefferson Parker Edgar Award nominee, "Silent Joe", that was the better of the two books. I typed them onto my 2008 book list as numbers 28 and 29 read this year. Most years my count is in the forties, but this year's list included five books of over a thousand pages. I could read four Dick Francis who-done-its for each of those so my pace is about average...for me. Woowoo Charly read the same tomes as I and roughly a hundred more. I now use her as my personal pre-reading critic. I ask her which book will be my next. I'll blog my list shortly, if I can get my old computer to hang onto the Internet long enough to SEND.

There is an intense rainbow out the window to my right. I wish I could describe it to you but rainbows don't have any of the colors that I know, colors like red, blue or orange. They have artist palette colors with names like cerise, magenta, lilac, shaquille and mutombo. Doesn't matter now though. It's gone to wherever rainbows go. Perhaps in search of a new year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It feels like I've heard this year much more than most people ready to move onto the next year. No one's holding onto 2008 with much fondness, it seems. Although it did bring us Obama.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of tomes, just finished the first George Martin book. Good stuff. Hope the next in the series have more dragons & magic, less political intrigue and war....but that's just me.