Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunrise Sunset

My dermatologist, Doctor Panagas, pronounced pain-in-the-ass, no, wait, that's my proctologist, ( kidding, I don't really have a proctologist and hope I never need to despite all the blog potential there) says I should put sun block on my face everyday even if I don't plan to go outside or the sun isn't shining because you never know when an evil ray from Old Sol might slip through a window pane and zap me on the nose. I told him that if I wanted to put slime on my face on regular basis I would have chosen to be a woman back there in the womb when the choices were being handed out. Women thrive on lotions and potions and do not seem to be bothered by the slime factor. (The S in SPF, in case you don't know, stands for slime.) I have met people who unlike me say they can't stand the feel of the sun on their skin. They prefer cool air touching their bodies. Whackos if you ask me, most likely descendants from a dark planet. We ex pats from Venus where the temperature is a mild 220 degrees or something like that, can't stand cold air blowing across our skin. It makes us scrunch our shoulders, shiver and sneeze. We prefer heat and specifically the kind that comes from the sun. What turns out to be annoying though, is that our basking leads to skin cancer. What, I ask you, do the chill freaks get from walking around cold all the time? Do they have some doctor saying take off your hat, roll up your sleeves, put on some shorts and get out of the shade? Is there some slime they have to use to protect them from cool breezes? I hope so, it's only fair.

As I've noted before, it's good to vent.

I'm catching a lot of sunrises these days. (Puppies desperate to go out account for that.) Apart from the fact that seeing the sun come up means you have made it through the night alive and now it's time to put on your SPF 60, sunrises are overrated. Sure there is a nice, subtle brightening of the sky and the world becomes magically visible as nature turns up the dimmer switch, but compared to sunsets sunrises lack the drama, the oomph, and the color that accompany the sun going down. Of course, as the sun sets I am often sitting comfortably on a patio chair, cigar and cocktail in hand, body slathered in slime, hat pulled low on my forehead, doing my best to bask without harm, so I may be biased on the subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SPF every day sounds like a good plan! I'm sure they make a manly SPF....

I haven't seen many sunrises this past week - staying up late reading and sleeping in, only to wake to gray cloudy rainy sleety days. Except for today, when the sky was clear & blue - yay!