Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Monsooner or Later

The rain, which had lessened to a trickle, (trickle is a fun word to say) returned in force yesterday afternoon, continued through the night and is with us still this A.M. Swell.

I bundled up and sat out on the patio anoche, (last night), to watch the rain fall with cigar and whiskey close at hand. RTGFKAR and Woowoo Charly were hunkered down in the living room watching CNN and catching up on the doings in the world without rain. Their show was probably better than mine. Mine was akin to watching a landscape painting; nothing really changed from moment to moment. My goal, if I had thought about it and decided on one, was to be present in the weather while letting my stogie and whiskey do the relaxation magic they do, but I wasn't aware of that end as I puffed and sipped and stared mostly into inner space. I don't really do goals anyway. Focusing on the end result of any activity causes me to miss too much of the process where I find the real fun lies.

The weather event we are experiencing has affected me less than others as I am the self proclaimed "last of the great indoorsmen" anyway and much of what I like to do takes place under roof. RTGFKAR is the most affected in our household as his usual, read non rainy, days are spent outdoors landscaping, gardening, building and such. Woowoo Charly, like me, misses golf and is somewhat emotionally affected by the lack of sunshine. We are all cope-ing, though anxious for rain's end.

So there I was on the patio savoring my Crown Royal and blowing smoke into the mist. My thoughts were flying by like fast moving clouds and I only stopped to gaze at a few of them. One of them had to do with the book I am reading in which there are tribes called Quartheen and Dothraki among others. I find those to be wonderful words and there are many more like them in books by George R.R. Martin. I also chuckled (another fun word to say) at Charly's discovery of the ghost on our pup Mattie's chest. I had difficulty photographing it because she wouldn't hold still, but the image is a perfect little Casper. From time to time Charly would join me on the patio for a smoke of her own and we would have short conversations about the pundits punditing on CNN or whatever was in my head at the moment, one time sports, another, the obvious, weather. Throughout most of my sit-out I had pups on my lap curled about each other sleeping. There is something wonderful about stroking their warm fur and feeling their gentle breathing and tiny heartbeats.

Sure there is rain, but life goes on and it is still good. Hope yours is too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the cutest marking on a dog ever.

Anonymous said...

So cute!