Saturday, December 06, 2008

Scenario #1

Writer's group project for the month is to make ourselves the hero of a piece. To me this says fantasy, so I thought I would do several scenarios in a kind of Harlequin/Argosy style. Here is the first:

I was lost, out of fuel and going down fast. The fog was thick, but I could see what looked like land below and hoped for a stretch of beach to put down on. My engines were sputtering but they gave me just enough lift to keep the nose up. There it was! A fat patch of sand reaching out from the jungle and stretching down to the water, but not nearly enough to land on. I had one hope. If I could hit the surf flat enough I might be able to skip like a stone and make it to the beach.

Moments later my head was ringing and my eyes were giving me cartoon images, but I wasn’t quite out. I had skipped all right, nice as could be, but the sand was soft and I had plowed into it hard and fast. My seat belt had restrained me but something flying loose in the cockpit had given me a pretty good knock. I was trying to focus, regain my sight, but darkness was closing in fast, consciousness slipping away. There were people, natives I thought, outside the plane but I… but I… and then I was gone.

When I awoke I found myself bound and being carried on a kind of make shift stretcher. There were women all around me with wild eyes and hair, dressed, if you could call it that, in animal skins. Most were nearly naked, some fully so. They carried spears and bows and they looked at me with a kind of hunger in their eyes. They took me to a jungle encampment dotted with grass huts. I was propped against a pole somewhere close to the center. For a moment the women just stared at me, but then curiosity or something else I couldn’t quite read compelled them and they closed in and began to touch me. They were murmuring and whispering amongst them selves, sort of fighting for position when a clear voice rang out that startled us all. “Leave him” it said. “My rights as queen make him mine first.” I looked up to see a tall, dusky skinned beauty clutching some kind of silky cloth to her voluptuous body emerge from the nearest hut. She stood apart from the others for a moment as they backed away to clear a path. When she began to move towards me, slowly and sinuously, I could see that her eyes were the hungriest of all. As she neared, her cloth slipped from her shoulders and floated to the ground.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm talkin' about!