Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Consequential Events

Today's blogging would be better defined as stalling. I have hard stuff to write and I'm procrastinating. (Is there amateurcrastinating?) (Have I asked that before?) I'll get to the hard stuff right after this, but let me stall a few minutes more.

There was wind last night and it has carried on to the morning. It is curiously rhythmic like the sound of waves on a beach. The banana tree with its broad leaves I see through the window to my left is whipping about in so many directions it looks as if it is being tickled. I can feel a thread of wind, gentled to breeze by our screen, coming through the six inches or so of the open window to my fore. It is riffling the pages of Macbeth that I have downloaded and now have at my side. Macbeth is one of my projects that you will hear more about later.

Many important and internationally significant things have happened in our lives. Yesterday, for instance, I switched the dog's food from puppy to adult. They like it much better and CNN has been alerted to the change. Additionally, Woowoo and I drove to lovely and talented Daveeed to bring back supplies. Among those of note were TP, paper towels and Special K snack bars that contain only 90 calories each. Kim Jong Il, we are told, was moved by the purchases. On Monday we played golf after having decided in advance that we wouldn't wait until Tuesday, our usual day, if it wasn't raining Monday. This way we reasoned, if it did rain Monday we could play Tuesday or Wednesday or even Thursday. Difficult intellectual decisions like this one are part of our everyday reality. Of course, had I known that the change in format was going to affect me and my golf game so drastically, I might have thought differently. My body, you see, was attuned to the rhythms of a Monday and not those of a Tuesday and the attendant imbalance of my equilibrium caused my game to be seriously impaired. That is my story and I am doggedly sticking to it even as the Fox reporters try to wear me down.

I'm sure these details of our complex and sophisticated existence have you and the world-at-large poised expectantly to hear about what comes next, so I won't tease you with delay. Our new fence has been installed, looks fine and holds back the garden while keeping the dogs in the yard. This latter prevents them from hunting the wily chicken but creates a situation wherein there is far more dog poop to be found in the enclosed area. A congressional committee has been called to study this local matter in hopes of preventing a worldwide outbreak, but so far no funds have been allocated. In the meantime, good and concerned citizen that I am, I have taken it upon myself to daily clean the mess and save the planet from this additional pollution. Don't thank me, it's my pleasure and I'm a better man for it.

NOW, I can go write something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this one! Did you get to all the "hard stuff"?!

I really like that second paragraph - such lovely descriptive prose. I love the way your writing voice can have so many different styles.

Speaking of, what are you doing with Macbeth?

Unknown said...

Yes, what are you doing to dear old MacBeth? Let him be. I hope it isn't something to do with the daily dog poo situation--those kind of spots are hard to get out. And you know how Lady MacB is with cleanlines...

Zendoc said...

I am writing a review of Macbeth for our writer's club.