Saturday, August 15, 2009

Here's To You Friday!

Sunlight bouncing off the tile roof of the bird feeder puts the structure in sharp relief against the tall trees beyond. There are vines growing up the pole that holds it, Morning Glories I think, and their fat leaves are holding fast in some kind of plant embrace. Looks like a choke hold to me.

Alrighty then.

In case you let it slide by without giving it due reverence, let me point out that last night was FRIDAY NIGHT. Lest this most auspicious and heralded marker of week's end slip into "a day like all days" category, an eventuality that threatens to take place all to easily in one's retirement, I put forth on a regular basis an effort to forestall that happening. My method is a carefully planned and rigidly followed series of events designed to pay homage - use the French pronunciation here, oh-mahge - to the occasion. All of what follows occurs on our patio. I clip and ready two cigars. As I now only smoke on Friday nights, this alone is tribute. I then set my i-pod player to "Old Favorites" which, when I am properly moved, will inspire dancing. I then prepare myself and any others who care to partake in the festivities, a cocktail. The cocktail may be any one of a number of drinks at my disposal ranging from frozen Margaritas to cold beer and fall into the "what do I feel like tonight?" category. Last night it was simply a weak whiskey and water. As I also only drink on Friday nights apart from wine at dinner, this too is tribute to this most sacred of evenings. With drink, smoke and music at hand, I settle comfortably into my chair, watch my dogs at play and note the sky dimming from gray to darkness. About midway through my second cocktail, I detect a sharpening of my aural sense that triggers a greater appreciation of the music that surrounds me. I move away from my mind's preoccupation with thoughts idle, (reminiscences) or specific (writing one thing or another) and listen more intently. After awhile of doing this, I generally, as was the case last night, find myself dancing. Listening to music and dancing are both activities - if I may be so bold as to wax poetic - that massage my soul. Celebrating Friday nights, a deeply ingrained custom that my workingman's heart prolongs, can and has run long but I find more usually these days, that a few hours will suffice. So here's to you Friday. May we all see many more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to know Friday nights are still awesome in retirement!