Saturday, August 22, 2009

"...fruit flies like a banana."

It was a relatively tame Friday until Raffi and Finni got into a serious fight and I tried to kick them apart. Didn't work. They "play" fight all the time and we know it's not serious because only Raffi, or, when she is involved, Matti, growls. Finni never makes a sound. Both dogs were snarling at full volume last night and fur was sticking up from their backs like grizzlies on the prowl. I got in two or three air kicks in the mutts' direction before landing a couple good ones, but the combatants were too busy flashing fangs at each other to notice. Realizing my effort was futile, I grabbed a walking stick from the urn we use for umbrellas and such and reentered the fray more heavily armed. A couple of well directed whacks to puppy rumps ended the battle. Damage done? To the pups none. To the peacemaker? One thoroughly blackened big toe sporting a yellowish and blue nail categorized by Las Vegas odds makers as "iffy." I'm thinking I must have kicked something other than dog - the fight was under and around the kitchen table - to have inflicted the damage. Either that or one of the dogs has a seriously hard hide.

In other news of note, the Denver Broncos did not play last night and neither did the Red Sox who lost to the Yankees 20 to 11.

So what is today, like August 4th or 5th? The 22nd! You gotta be kidding me. What have I been doing all month? Where did it go? This whole time goes by quicker when you are older thing has got to stop. I remember Woody Allen saying "time flies when you are having fun so quit having fun and you will feel like you live forever." Well, there is some truth to that. Last night as my big toe throbbed to one of Santana's faster rhythms, I thought the night would never end. It doesn't hurt so much now though, and I find it is ten after nine. I was up at six so three fast hours have elapsed while I was paying no attention. Excuse me while I go drop something on my foot. (Or as friend B and L are wont (their word) to suggest, go slam my dick in the door.) That'll slow things down.

Yesterday at lunch - La Casona for burritos, chimchangas, margaritas, - Ramon said that the oft heard declaration that we only use ten or twelve percent of our brains was a crock of doodoo. He said that scientific research has shown what each and every part of the brain does and there is no part left over and its function unaccounted for. Bummer. Thought maybe I could access the speeding up time part and slow things down.

Zooooom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, Pops, hope your toe is better. Wait, no I don't. I hope it throbs and throbs for long, long days. Kidding.

I feel the time thing too. And as I approach 40 I'm starting to feel the overall body thing that Todd talked about on his 40th. I didn't really believe him them, thought he was playing it up for effect at his birthday party, but it's true. Sheesh. Or, I should say, "Gadzooks!"