Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Golf Lessons

In order to get to the page I am on, I have to sign in on the comment section of the previous blog and then click on a "Blogger" logo that is about half way down the page. Weird. The regular access just doesn't work and "help" is of no use at all. Any suggestions?

Here's a little slice of golf history that I find entertaining: Why do golf courses have 18 holes, not 20 or 10 or an even dozen for that matter?

During a discussion among the club's members at St. Andrews, site of the first golf course, in 1858, a senior member pointed out that it takes exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was over when the Scotch ran out.

Now you know.

If my Irish ancestors had invented the game, there would be a liquor store at the 19th and the game would go on until somebody fell down. I mean, that's the logical ending.

Once, when we were playing 36 holes at Hidden Valley in Aztec, New Mexico, I was playing so badly (and had been for weeks) that I just said screw it and began to drink tequila and beer at the beginning of the last nine holes. By the time I got to the ninth, I was laughing and silly and having a good time despite the fact the my golf was getting, understandably, worse and worse. Suddenly though, I had a moment of absolute clarity and I turned to Charly and said I have just figured out what I have been doing wrong and I'm going to remember it when I sober up. I then went back to flailing at the ball and finished the round. The next time we played, incredibly, I did remember what occurred to me and made the adjustment. I had been standing too far from the ball and it was making my swing outside and flat. I moved about an inch closer, golf is a game of small adjustments, and began striking the ball solidly again. I played my normal okay golf for the rest of the summer. Now I'm sure there is some kind of cosmic lesson to be learned from this, but I'm also sure I have no clue what it is. Best I can figure is if you are playing crappy golf, drink tequila. I haven't played badly enough to test that theory a second time, so if any of my golfing family and friends are having a tough time on the links, please give this a try and let me know what happens.

No comments: