Saturday, February 24, 2007

An Orderly Mind

"A place for everything and everything in its place." Somebody taught me that. Maybe my mother, she was very neat. Maybe my father, although that seems less likely as he was wasn't particularly tidy. Most likely it was an Army DI from long ago who barked in my ear loud enough to make the lesson stick. "YOUR FOOTLOCKER WILL BE ARRANGED AS SHOWN ON THE CHART OR YOU WILL WALK GUARD DUTY ONE HOUR FOR EACH MISPLACED SOCK. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"

"Yes Sergeant."

"I CAN'T HEAR YOUUU."

"YES SERGEANT!"

Whatever the lesson's origin, it was learned and incorporated into my personal philosophy which includes other bits of useful wisdom like "if you can't be on time, be early" and the indispensable "when in doubt whip it out." That last one, of course, is no longer as pithy as it used to be. ( I looked up pithy to make sure it was the word I wanted there. The dictionary says, "full of pith, having substance and meaning" so I am now going to rewrite the last sentence. That last one, of course, is no longer as full of pith as it used to be.

The point that I am trying to get to is that I am sure the lack of order in our nueva casa for the last several days has contributed greatly to the heretofore written Cross and Irritable conditions that prevailed throughout. "Where the f*** did I put that blankety blank?" was an oft heard expression and one that did little to bring the monkeymind to a peaceful place. Had the Dali Lama been here to remind me of this, it would have been a good thing. I could have smacked that fat littleTibetan upside the head a few times and relieved my tension.

What has to be understood is that we Sevens, Monkeyminds, Looney Tunes, whatever you choose to call us, need our stuff put in the same place all the time every time or we would mostly be without life's small essentials like car keys, wallets, socks, underwear and wives. We would simply forget where we left them last. Happily, and here is the good part, I am here to tell you that order has been restored. I have located all my essentials but one and I can hear her nearby calling the dog so I suspect she will soon be in place as well. By my side.

Life is good and I love Panama.

Oh and Dali, I was just kidding big guy. What, you can't take a joke?

1 comment:

Zendoc said...

Perhaps having 5 kids march through your house, one of whom's floor was never visible throughout her entire teenage years, (I won't mention her name but there is a K in her initials)on a daily basis for lo these many years, might make one long, perchance even pine, for order amidst the madness.

And my head, by the way, is neat, tidy and what about those Red Sox this year?