Saturday, February 10, 2007

Multi-tasker

I'm multi-tasking, drinking coffee and thinking about writing something. I'm good at this. It's the part where I put the coffee down and type something onto the screen that I often find difficult. The monkeymind is so easily distracted. Maybe if I was one of those enneagram types who complain about judgemental little people on their shoulders whispering in their ears I would have an outside source I could rely on for a topic. I'm not sure I want to go there though. I might sound too much like whiney Andy Rooney. "Why do we have to have so many cereals? Do we really need all these cereals? Whose idea was it anyway? Kelloggs? Posts? Those damn Quakers? And why is THEIR oatmeal so special? It's just oatmeal." See what I mean? No I'm probably better off just staring into the middle distance -where ever that is - and waiting for something to dawn on me. This, of course, supposes that being dawned on is a good thing.

Sometimes I have something to write about, important stuff like catching mice, the definition of cameltoe or my bid for high elective office. Then I get to fly on the keys. That is, as we enneagram sevens say, big fun. The words are easily found and I'm all for easy. In all honesty though, because you can't have part honesty, that wouldn't be honest at all, when I struggle, in retrospect, it's sometimes even more fun. I'm forced to work harder, dig deeper and snatch from where ever creativiy lies, the words that eventually find their way to the screen or onto the paper. Those words often surprise me and that is big fun as well. Someone once said that writers don't like to write, they just like to have written. I like to do both, but then, what the hell, I'm a multi-tasker.

1 comment:

Zendoc said...

Actually,I was quoting Hilary.