Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Sunday Post NFL

I was just staring at Baru and wondering why mountains loom but looms never mountain.

Today is Sunday and here in Panama that is an apt and appropriate name as the sun is almost always shining. Of course no one here calls it Sunday, they call it Domingo for reasons that are unclear to me, but it might have something to do with a horse that won the Preakness some years ago. It also might be what you shout aloud when you've covered five numbers on your card at the church bazaar. Domingo! So much of life is still a mystery to me.

Yesterday the day was called Sabado and that makes a lot more sense to me as I believe that is Spanish for "save your dough." Sabado. In Italian it's probably Sab a you do.

Both Spanish and Italian are Romance languages which is okay with me, but I have to ask in all seriousness...why? I mean what, you can't be Romantic in Hungarian? And how about those Chinese? Somebody had to say something romantic here and there or you don't end up with a billion bicycles, many of them built for two.

Have I gone far enough with this? Alrighty then.

Last night we had friends over for dinner and Woowoo Charly made chicken. She didn't actually make the chicken, she just cooked it. Our friends though are Southern, so as far as they were concerned, she fixed chicken for dinner even though, I'm pretty sure the bird wasn't actually broken, just dead. Charly put a lot of stuff on the chicken before she baked it and then put more stuff on top of that when it came out of the oven. Before serving the chicken she added even more stuff and the result was really tasty. Stuff is a main ingredient in all of Charly's cooking.

And I suppose I should say something about the noble chicken itself, because when you consider the part it plays in the diets of people throughout the world, it should be every country's national bird. I'm afraid though, if I wax too, well, Romantic about the clucker, I won't be able to eat our tasty friend anymore no matter how much stuff Woowoo Charly bakes it in. I mean consider what happened with Hindus and cows. I'm going to, because what the hell, it's Sunday, there's no football on television and that's just wrong.

1 comment:

Zendoc said...

From time to time the monkeymind must be untethered and allowed to run free. I do, though, try to keep it from exiting the jungle.