Wednesday, February 14, 2007

V-Day

It is very still, very quiet as I write this. My valentine lies abed in a deep slumber and even my dog, curled beside me, makes not a twitter. Outside my window the world is also breathless. The trees display their beauty but no movement and though I can hear the birds symphony, none are visible. Mighty Baru rests its head against a pillow of clouds. Incline your head my pets, my loved ones, and turn your ears so that I may whisper softly there the words of love that fill my heart on this the international day of romance.

ALRIGHTY THEN!

Let's hear it for old Saint Vee. Guy must have been something, what with all that candy and flowers and cards, don't forget the cards. Remember when you were in grade school and you used to measure your worth by how many of those little love notes you got from your classmates. Or weren't they still doing that when you came along? And what about those hard as stone, heart shaped candies with their tiny sentiments like "cutie pie" and "I luv u"? I couldn't get enough of those. Are they still around? What I want to know now though is what's the deal with all the red? Does it have something to do with blood and hearts and all that or was it just Saint Vees favorite color? I mean you know how I feel about red. It's not on my top ten list of colors. It's better than, say, mud brown, I suppose. Imagine what your department store windows would look like decorated in mud brown.

But I digress. It's Valentine's day and we are all feeling warm and valentiney. I'm taking my sweetie out to lunch and to find boxes to pack with. After that we'll spend a romantic afternoon stuffing said boxes. What could be better? I'll turn to her with the love in my heart shining from my eyes and say, "hand me that willya?" and she'll meet my eyes and respond in kind with a loving, "here ya go, catch" and somewhere, in another dimension perhaps, Romeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah, Triston and Isolde, Abbott and Costello, and even Saint Vee himself will be saying, "what, no chocolates?" Later, though, there will be wine. Red wine at that.

And your day?

3 comments:

Zendoc said...

Beware the wart riddled, snot ragged, frumious kiss snatcher lurking by the shores of Lake Michigan.

Anonymous said...

I got two snow days leading up to a four day weekend! Now that' s a V-day present.

Off to NJ for the weekend. Two nigts in Parsipanny. What could be finer.

Our class is being filmed next week by a crew from ABC. It's a promotional piece on conceptual curriculum. The idea being that no one can remember all that there is to remember (see earlier blog) so we teach concepts that apply to all sorts of historical events. Spaniards conquered Inca for gold, American's conquered Iraq for black gold. Same concepts just different details.

Zendoc said...

It's from Lewis Carrol's "Jabberwocky,", one of the great poems of all time. It starts, "Twas brillig and the slithy toad did gire and gimble in the wabe." Later there is "... beware the frumious bandersnatch" which I find to be darn good advice.

Good stuff #2. Waytago!