Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Memories

Trivial Pursuit yadida yadida yadida. Computerized trivia games in bars yadida yadida yadida. Jeopardy yadida yadida yadida. Okay there you have the first paragraph of yesterday's lost blog. Woowoo Charly and I were - probably still are - good at all those things. But...

Paragraph two, the one I was writing when the screen went black, was talking about the nature of our recall ability at the moment. (I'm sorry, what was I saying?) All those distant names and events come as readily to mind as they always have. In fact, it's not unusual for either Charly or I to quickly dredge up some obscure character actor's name while watching an old film. "Hey there's old Claude Akins. Wonder what he's doing these days." It's the recently added data that seems most difficult to retrieve. A couple of days ago we were watching a film in which the heavy was played by a young, and here is a direct quote, "that's the guy from, you know, Gladiator and the movie about blowing the whistle on cigarette companies, whatsisname." I can't remember, but I know who you're talking about." It wasn't until the credits when Russell Crowe's name popped up that we both said, "of course." I'm trying to discover if this is normal or if we both enjoyed the Sixties and Seventies too much or even if, as Homer Simpson says, "every time I put in a new thought, it pushes an old one out." Maybe our minds are reluctant to discard those tried and true bits of trivia so the new ones aren't sticking. Anyway, I hope it doesn't get any worse. Woowoo Whatsername and I need to remember...The Maine, The Alamo...something.

That was yesterday. Wasn't it?

2 comments:

Zendoc said...

I'm sorry, what was your name again?

Zendoc said...

bubbaz. Woowoo Charly wants to know if you can remember the improper names like jerkface, etc.