Friday, February 09, 2007

What, Spiders Ain't Enough?

We have a mouse. I have been trying to trap it for over a week to no avail. I'm thinking of just making it a pet and leaving it for Alan when he moves in. I looked for the humane traps that allow you to catch the little buggers alive, but they don't seem to be available here. I figured I could catch Mickey's cousin and then release him at some distant point or maybe toss him into the volcano. I ended up with the snap and trap usual kind; the Terminator of mouse traps. They are almost always the answer.

Not this time, though. I have baited the traps, three of them, on eight or nine occasions. On all but one, the mouse has managed to remove the food without springing the trap. On the other, both Woowoo Charly and I were awakened by the sound of the trap snap and commented, "got 'em" before going back to sleep. But wrongo there rodent breaths, the following morning revealed two snapped traps sans mouse. I suspect this critter has an S on its chest or Mighty Mouse has reemerged from Toonville. I'm not sure what to do now. Maybe we can just get him a little bowl and put it down next to Gustavo's. You know, feed it on a regular schedule and teach it to sit, come, stay and like that. Keep him out of the cookies.

We went to a "Pot Luck" dinner with friends, neighbors and newcomers last night. Woowoo Charly doesn't usually like Pot Lucks. She never knows what to bring. She made deviled eggs this time, some curried and some with wasabi. They ended up saving the day as the people bringing the main dishes turned up late and the eggs got devoured staving off hunger, short tempers, fist fights and gunplay. You know how those Pot Lucks go. Alan was an invitee and I spent a lot of time talking to him and learning more about birds and snakes and such. It also turns out that he, like me, is a horror movie buff. "Forbidden Planet" was the flick that rocked his world as a kid. As most of you know, it was 1951's "The Thing" that rearranged the chromosomes of both Woowoo Charly and I when we were tykes. I can still hear the movie's music in my head. Not exactly a hum-able tune.

1 comment:

Zendoc said...

The mouse had his dinner and escaped again last night. Read a humane trapping method on the internet. You take the cardboard center from a paper towel roll and put cheese in one end. You then balance it precariously on the edge of a counter, cheese end out. Under that you place a deep trash can. When the mouse goes through the tube to get the cheese, he tips the roll and falls into the trash can. I'm going to try this method tonight.