Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blogging Time

Blogging aimlessly is the Monkeymind's forte. No point beyond amusement is really needed. That's my amusement I'm talking about. I'll try to share, but there's no guarantee. I could have a central theme, a focus, even an issue I suppose, but then I would have to actually know something in more depth and that, perish the thought, would require research, study and the most perisible of all my resources, time. I spend my time (like all good Enneagram Sevens)in an orderly progression of things I like to do. (When not interrupted by the "have to's", that is.) Among those, obviously, is blogging. Although my writing away from the blog consumes far more time, I still enjoy letting the Monkeymind loose to see from which limb it decides to swing; what turn of gray matter, brain cell, or external stimulation will appear to capture my attention and find its way into words. Today, until now while reading over this first part, I had nothing, which is usually the case. But aha! Eureka! I have found a theme in the phrase "spend my time."

The cool thing about time is that it is distributed in a very democratic fashion. Everyone has the same amount given to them everyday. It can't be saved, hoarded, stockpiled, and it comes with the proviso that you must use it or lose it. The best way to use it is to spend it. (The concept of "borrowed time" comes falsely from people who are believed to have lived past the point of "time's up." When your time is truly up you can't borrow more.) Some people spend their time in large denominations. These are called hours. If you do something that takes hours it best be something that you enjoy. People, por ejemplo, who work at jobs they don't like are just throwing big bills into the wind. Larger time denominations like days, weeks, months, years are rarely spent on one thing so they are cashed in for smaller units. I prefer to spend my time in blocks of minutes. Like a fat wallet full of ones, minutes make you feel like you have a lot. I can spend 45 minutes writing a blog, 120 minutes on a short story, 35 minutes practicing guitar, 75 minutes reading a book, 60 walking the dogs and so forth. By day's end I will have used up my allotment in a very diverse manner. This is much like spending money on a shopping trip for small items rather than on one expensive large one. Occassionally though, Tuesdays most often, I like to spend an enormous chunk of time on one thing. Four, five, six even seven big hour bills can be dropped in the same place, namely, the golf course. I had planned to do that, in fact, this very day but alas, there is rain in the offing. (I had to get "offing" in again; it's such a cool word.) So, as a consequence, therefore and wouldn't you know, it's back to the time mall for me. Right now I think I'll go spend eleven minutes eating cereal and watching Sportcenter. After that, well, there's a pile of puppy poop I've been ignoring. And you? How are you going to spend your day?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always hope to spend a few minutes each day reading Monkeymind!

Zendoc said...

Gracias Bubba.

Anonymous said...

moi aussi. and at least 20 minutes a day hitting my snooze button.