Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Terremoto

Terremoto is not the the name of Japan's visiting Prime Minister as some might think. It's the Spanish word for earthquake. Last night at 1:10 a.m. Terremoto did come-a-calling and frankly I would rather have had Japan's P.M. The quake lasted long enough for me to say "holy shit" six or seven times, but I quit after the third one to hear what Woowoo Charly had to say. She was seconding my opinion. The intensity of the temblors (tremors)was double that of any we had experienced heretofore or even heretofive. It was noisy, unsettling, disquieting, unnerving and four other adjectives with the general meaning of Yikes! When it was over I meandered over to RTGFKAR's side of the house to see how he had fared and he too was in a bewildered state. I did point out to him that "on the bright side" our new home was still standing. It wouldn't have surprised me to have found windows out or roof tiles missing or cracks in the walls. I mean how can you shake an entire building hard enough to make your bed dance on the floor for half a minute and not have some sort of visible damage? I made a cursory check of the interior this morning and found nothing amiss or amister and will venture to the exterior when the monsoon wind and rain that were the earthquake's sidekick let off a touch.

An aside: I wrote a nice earthquake bit in what I called my "Costa Rica Papers" when we lived there and experienced our first serious shake and quake. I lost those writings and the subsequent "Panama Papers" when my computer's hard drive took a dive and never recovered. If any of youze good people should have a copy, por favor, send it my way.

Animals, I have read, often sense the onset of natural disasters before we puny humans do. Dogs, cats, bats and rats have been known to exhibit odd behavior prior to hurricanes, earthquakes, cyclones and the like. Our pups though are apparently missing that early warning gene. They made no sound to wake us beforehand and, at the conclusion of the terremoto, they merely shuffled around in their kennel a second or two and then promptly returned to sleep. I guess when you are a nine week old dog everything is cool with you except the word no.

Later today we are off to lovely and talented Daveed to get said pups their vaccinations - we will see how they feel about that - and another bout for me with Doctor Skinbegone and his trusty companion freezeface. I always enjoy returning from these sessions looking like a wereleopard in mid metamorphosis; especially when I have to appear in public before the spots drop off. Friday night I have to read at our writer's club and I will likely be in full moon bloom by then. Ah well, it's still better than a stick in the eye.

Or an earthquake.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

info: the quake was a 4.7, with the epicenter about 50 miles West of us in the Specific Ocean

Anonymous said...

So the Richter scale has been replaced with the "Holy Shit" scale. I must update my seismic directory

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the first quake was a 6.2. The second was 4.7.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a big one! Glad everyone is ok and great the house appears unscathed. You can tell your writer's group that the spots are from the earthquake. Debris, perhaps? Would make for a good story...

Zendoc said...

The Holy Shit scale. I like that. Just say that as many times as you can before the quake ends and you will know its intensity. 6.2 times for the last one sounds just right.

Anonymous said...

holy moly! sounds like rtgfkar designed a great house in more ways than one! glad all is well.

where do the puppies sleep? just curious.

also: i'll look for your other pieces - are you backing up everything on an external drive or CD these days?!

Anonymous said...

i love the puppy yin & yang photos!