Sunday, November 02, 2008

Sensing Something

It's quiet as an empty church at our house this morning. I can hear the odd bird chirping and a distant rooster doing its thing, but really the only noise of note is the clacking of my computer keys. Well, that and the ohmmmm of the universe echoing in my empty head where thoughts ought to be.

I'm sipping periodically on my third half mug of coffee - if I pour more than a half it just gets cold - and I am staring with wonder at a peculiarly blue sky. What can this mean? Is October truly over? Can sunshine, golf and happy days be here again? Are the Beatles reuniting?

A goodly - as opposed to badly - chunk of time has passed while I read over and over again the two short paragraphs above trying to think of what next to say and this sentence is the best I can do. Lame, if you ask me.

Maybe I'll try a writerly technique like describing my sensory impressions. Yeah, that's it. Now what were they again? Okay, I'm smelling, I'm smelling, I'm smelling and I'm getting...nothing. I do feel air going through my nose though. That's always a good thing. I see over the top rim of my reading glasses a still shiny morning with clear skies but I have already told you that. I hear, and this is a sound that just now began, the voice of Barack Obama coming dimly from the great room's TV. Woowoo Charly has arisen and found the remote, a clear sign that this is Sunday. Weekdays she beelines to the patio with coffee and book. And lastly, except for the next thing, I'm tasting the final bitter dregs of my cold black brew.

Now for the important part. My sixth sense tells me I'm hungry and that I will soon be making pancakes which is not a euphemism for something else. I will be actually making pancakes. After that, my sixth sense tells me, I will be practicing guitar, reading a book and taking a nap. All at one time would be nice but my sixth sense tells me to get a life. These things will be done sequentially as I wait for the political pundits to leave our TV screen and be replaced by men who draw a much larger audience, football players. My sixth sense gets a bit hazy at that point but it is suggesting that the Denver game which has once again been advertised as being shown will - once again - not be. This could be a bummer unless my sixth sense is wrong which is often the case. Right now, for instance, I sense a huge evil presence rising from the floor behind my chair. It is cloaked in shadow and dark and resembles nothing human in size or shape. As it nears I sense vicious, murderous intent so you see my sixth sense is often wron----------------------

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice surprise ending. I, um, hope, we get a sequel?

Anonymous said...

You hate the Beatles. What the hell are you talking about?

Anonymous said...

Beat the Meatles!

Zendoc said...

I like the Beatle's music, just not sung by them.