Sunday, November 30, 2008

More of the Same

The Rains of Ranchipur took a Fair Wind to Java where it hooked a ride East of Eden on The Road to Bali and finally fell on, you guessed it, good old Boquete giving us thirteen days that included all or parts of a downpour. It is raining as I write this morning, so day fourteen is now in the Monkeymind Book of Records an unofficial compilation of anything that occurs to me. The record for uppours, for instance, remains at zero.

Yesterday's rain, having a sadistic sense of humor, waited until RTGFKAR and I picked and shoveled and rocked the the ruts on our servidumbre just enough to allow me to barely - three attempts were necessary - drive my car to our house. After the afternoon deluge, driving FROM the house may now be problematical if by problematical I mean crazy to attempt. Two days of dryness or one day of uppour will be required to sufficiently firm up the road's mud base for a run the gauntlet ride to what now seems like the far away pavement. Ah well, it can't rain forever, can it?

While working on the servidumbre, RTGFKAR and I had to step aside and allow a four wheeled drive something big pick-up truck to pass easily over the wreckage of a road and I thought wistfully back to the Toyota Tundra we had sold before departing The States. It too would have made the trip up the servidumbre a simple four wheel for fun journey. Our little Kia Sportage, a car that would almost fit in the back of a pick-up, has neither the weight nor the clearance to make the trip anything less than a challenge. On the other hand, I thought wistlessly, the 30 miles per gallon of diesel fuel - thirty to forty cents a gallon cheaper than gas - that I get with the Kia has given me a savings over the life of the car of roughly, more or less, quite a bit and by quite a bit I mean a lot. Factor in that while it is parked here at the house unable to drive and you will note that we are saving even more. (I like to look on the bright side even when I have to make it up.)

The Broncos play the Jets today and I am hoping it will be televised here. The Jets and their quarterback whose name should be pronounced five-ray (Say five like a southerner) but isn't, are media darlings and their games are aired regularly. Cross your fingers for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

More rain you don't need, but the Broncos won and I for one am very relieved to see you blogging again! Makes my life feel more back to normal, so I imagine the same is true for you x100.

Zendoc said...

Normal? Normal? We don't need no steenking normal!