Thursday, November 27, 2008

Weather Seige

"Rain rain go away, come again some other day."

I awoke this morning to the sound of rain on the roof. It is a sound I have become accustomed to, or rather to which I have become accustomed.(That's for Bonnie) I donned some sweats and then opened the kennel and gathered our two pups into my arms to carry them out-of-doors. I don't trust them to make the walk through the house without stopping for their morning, ah, evacuations. After each ten pound pup had deposited an amount of poop roughly equivalent to their combined body weight upon the lawn and I had reloaded them with Science Diet rocket launching puppy kibble, we moved back into the house, I to write and they to create havoc for an hour or so before crashing and settling down for the first of their many daily puppy naps. We are at that precise moment now. The naps are going well, the writing not so much.

I don't really know what to say. Pictures, video or still, are clearly better mediums to describe the flood that has decimated parts of our beautiful town. You can find some of those at boqueteweather.org by clicking on the word "quick." I could make light of the whole affair by cranking out a humorous account of our inconveniences, but with reports of property destruction and deaths still coming in, I don't feel up to that task even if I do see the irony of having no water from our faucets in the midst of a flood.

Today's rain is light, so far, and I'm hoping it remains so. A partial rainbow, arco iris in Spanish, poked through the clouds an hour or so ago but it quickly disappeared into the soupy thick sky. Lluvia, pronounced you-vee-ah, rain, has visited us for ten consecutive days. I'm thinking that's enough.

In addition to the usual blessings I'm thankful for - family, friends and televised football - I now have a new one to add to the list here on Thanksgiving Day. I'm thankful we didn't fall in love with riverside property. Our house is safe here on the mountainside and the rain has our lawn looking great. Great that is, if you don't mind the piled puppy poop.

Happy Turkey Day to everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back online, Pops! Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mom, Ramon, and the little furry ones. Hope the rain goes to sleep and the sun comes out.

I'll just have to pretend that there's a football game on (so I can ignore it) and that I've had too much to drink (so I can join my siblings in a hilarious dance to some crappy 80s song) and that I've chowed down on turkey (so I can take a nap later before round two).

Much to be thankful for, but it's just not the same without all of us together....xox

Unknown said...

I know your internet is out again, so hope you get online again soon since that will mean things are being repaired and hopefully the waters are receding. I found the photos at boqueteweater.com, not .org. Pretty amazing, in a power of nature sort of way. So many of those places along the road and river are almost unrecognizable. Very glad you are safe and on a mountain and it sounds like neighbors and the town are all helping each other. Love to you all.