Saturday, March 22, 2008

I've Joined Boring Blogs Anonymous But I'm Not Cured Yet

Don't worry about a thing, I have ALL the answers. If I could just remember where I put them.

We have a large tree in our yard of an unknown type that I'm going to call the Gringo Tree because unlike the other trees here in Boquete that stay green and blossomed all year round, this one shed all its leaves and looked deader than a door nail - and you know how dead door nails get - until now. It seems to be on the U.S. tree cycle of leafless for football season, sprouted for baseball. I mention this for no particular reason other than I'm staring at it through one of my office windows and it's staring back. Not to worry though, I gave it my most bad-assed "what the hell you looking at Bark Breath?" attitude and now it's staring at RTGFKAR who is outside mixing cement in a wheelbarrow and oblivious to the prying eyes of the Gringo Tree.

I have nothing to write about again today which is the beauty of blogging because I'm compelled to write anyway. Something, a blog, from nothing, my mind, is what creativity is all about. It's also, in my case, what bullshit is all about, but c'mon, we all have to be good at something and I'm refining this skill so that when I enter my second childhood and have to go back to school, I'll be able to knock out those term papers with ease. "Compare and Contrast in one thousand words or less Denny the Dunce, Marvin the Moron and George the Bush." Okay, that's a tough one. Comparing is easy but there is no contrast.

On a diary entry kind of note, I made up a basketball pool. Woowoo Charly, RTGFKAR, LJ the old redneck, Bonnie the bookworm and Yers Trewly each picked teams from a hat, winner takes all, which in this case is twenty five bucks don't alert the IRS. I've arrived at the first weekend and I'm already down to just four teams, Tennessee, Louisville, Kansas and Oklahoma. I think Kansas is my best hope because, as I noted in another blog, they wear blue. Woowoo Charly has nine of her original 13teams left and RTGFKAR has Memphis and UCLA so he's in a catbird's seat which I'm told are quite comfortable, although I've never actually seen a catbird and I'm not sure I want to and why they have special seats remains a mystery to me. I don't know which teams LJ and Bon picked but there are good teams not on the other lists, North Carolina comes to mind, so we are all still in the hunt for the twenty-five big ones, a new car and an all expense paid trip around the world. Those last two, of course, have nothing to do with the pool but we are hunting them anyway.

I have to go now and work on that moron, dunce, Bush contrast that seems impossible so I'll leave you with this. Go Volunteers, Sooners, Redbirds and Jayhawks. And for the hoop aficionados, where is Belmont and what does UMBC stand for?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rounding the final turn and heading down the stretch, Belmont lost to Duke in a horse race.
UMBC stands for University of Minnesota Below Canada
Or
Ugly Muthas Basketball Crazy
Or
University of Misguided Bald Cardiologists
(they don't practice basketball, they malpractice basketball)

Anonymous said...

Those are pretty funny #1. Maybe you should join BBA too.

Unknown said...

I'm finally up to date on the blog and what do I get? No new posts since Saturday!
And I'm being instructed that if I want to have a conversation with you to be in touch on your blog if I want a meaningful dialog.
Jeez, someone's all self-important now that he's written 300 blogs.
No laurel resting!

Zendoc said...

C'mon, DHyde, meaningful dialogs from me? That's Woowoo Charly's department. I'm just an old blog brain although I am trying to quit or at least cut down. I've read that too much blogging causes clogging.