Saturday, March 01, 2008

Roundball and TV

He's all Barack and no bite.

The Nuggets were on last night. Apart from highlights on Sportscenter I had not seen them play this year and it seemed unlikely that I'd catch them in action last night in that game time was at 10:30. That's P.M. as in Pastmy Bedtime. I was hoisting up jumpers, slam dunking and dishing to the open man myself at 10:40 when the phone began ringing insistently from the bedside table. Our phone never rings after 9, so I knew it was either something urgent or a wrong number. Yo creo tiene el numero equivocado senor was my reply to the guy on the other end when my head cleared enough to realize which of the two possiblities it was. Wrong number. Sheesh. Now what? I'm wide awake and...wait a minute, there's a game on. Alrighty then. I stumbled to the couch, clicked the remote a few times to get past the food channels and settled in to watch my team humble the lowly L.A. Clippers. I made it through three quarters before my droopy eyelids and the realization that it was twenty minutes beyond midnight drove me back to bed. The Nuggets did prevail, I learned this morning, but my perception of the game was that I could be a star in the NBA if I got to play against the Nugget's defense every night. Of course, going back to my pregame dreams, I don't play much D either.

We have two TV's here at Casa As-yet-unnamed which makes for a harmonious household. RTGFKAR, Woowoo Charly and I vary widely in our viewing habits. When not watching entertainment televsion shows, I prefer sports, movies, history, biography, or any show about nature. I could care less about mankind's inventions, creations, scientific achievments, technology and food peparation, all of which are RTGFKAR's staples. Woowoo Charly will watch a bit of anything, but we guys leave the room when E-TV or American Idol comes on. (I'll come back when Idol gets down to twelve people.)Also working on the side of tranquility is that we are all three readers. This contributes to our televisions being on far less than the hours and hours statistics show average Joes viewing. I'm thinking that's a good thing.

If, however, the networks want to get my viewing hours up to par, they'll have to air Nugget games earlier or convince me to follow an east coast team, because, damn, 10:30, that's late. Isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're Barack-ing up the wrong tree.

Here in the Ole US, cable is too much. I went from 200 channels to 1. I get fox. So it's Idol or House. That or I have to get up and move the speaker wire I use for an antenna from one wall to another. And TV's just not that good.

I've been studying Barack formations. Then I'm gonna go Barack climbing. But when standing in my glass house I never throw baracks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Doc,

Here we are busy everyday with work, soccer and hockey. Also plowing all the snow and shoveling the pond.
We wish we were in Boquete enjoying the sunny days. We have to wait until next February. Say hi to everyone.

Zendoc said...

Heather? Is that you?