Saturday, July 29, 2006

Friday and Saturday

A glorious Saturday morning here in Panama. We've got a blue sky...

Wait! You can't just say a blue sky, everybody's got a blue sky. Either that or grey. You have to be more specific, narrow it down, let the people know what kind of blue you got hovering over your head. Let's get with it.

Well its a, don't rush me I'm thinking, it's a, it's a, "It's A Boy" kind of blue. Now where's my cigar?

That's better. Now what else is happening?

Well not much really. The sun's real bright and...

Hold up, hold up! The sun's real bright? You ever see a dull sun? What do you mean the sun's real bright?

Well it's rays are lighting up the mountain greenery like the kleig lights on an MGM technicolor musical from somewhere in the ninteen fifties. You know, the kind that could make even Gordon McCrea and Kathryn Grayson look good. Everything's all shiny and clean.

Alrighty then. What else?

Well Baru is jutting up in sharp relief against the baby blue like a man in profile lying on the beach with a hard on in his swim suit.

I'll be going now.

See ya.

Okay. Now that I have established that it is a nice day...yeah, I know...nice as a nurse with cleavage and pain pills, let's talk about yesterday, which was also a nice day even though I spent part of it with a dentist shoving shiny, silver implements into my mouth. What happened was, I got the back up dentist and the back up dental assistant and they somehow managed to fill my two cavidads while carrying on a conversation, in Spanish of course, which they thought I couldn't understand. They were mostly right. HOWEVER, I did grok about half and although the words were seemingly innocuous, I gathered that there was some double meanings going on and some serious flirting being done. All that and I'm only part way through my Spanish Now Level 2 textbook working on preterito verbs which is one of two past tenses because, apparently, Spanish people have more than one past. I can't wait to go listening in on some other unsuspecting Spanish speakers, but I am hoping that next time they won't be hovering inches above my face with one holding a miniture jack hammer and the other hanging a spit sucker from my lower lip. Makes it hard to concentrate on the eavesdropping.

But back today. If all goes as planned we should be off to the neighboring town of Dolega where we will swap books we've read for some we haven't at the Bookmark used book store within the next couple of hours. Not that we don't have plenty of the unread variety at home, but there's no Dick Francis and I'm jonesing. Jonesing like a jelly doughnut junkie with nothing but cookies in the cupboard.

No comments: