Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Life and Laughter

We lasted less than an hour. The speaker at the insurance seminar was painting his picture with broad strokes. We were looking for details. Narrow strokes. Actually, here in hindsightville, no strokes makes the most sense and what with Murphy's Law, Murray's if you're jewish, being what it is, the best way to achieve no strokes is to have insurance for them. Nevertheless we slipped out the back door before the tears of boredom could gather in force.

I've read that it is necessary to shake up your routine from time to time. Give everything a different look, a fresh face. Make your reality new, your perspective altered. Since I believe everything I read except for the stuff in newspapers and nonfiction sources - the people who write in those are really creative - I decided first thing today to give this change-your-habits thing a go and radically rearrange my morning. You know, toss out the old and let the sun shine on a bright new vision. I'm having coffee instead of tea as I write this. Call me a wild man if you want, but hey, you've got to take a risk once in awhile.

And now a word about humor because, afterall, it is a funny subject. I have what may be an overly developed sense of humor. (Note that it IS a sense like touching, smelling, hearing, detecting extraterrestrials disguised as humans and all the others. It doesn't get the press that say, seeing does, because it's the one sense so many people lack.) I laugh at everything except bad slapstick. Bad slapstick: someone slipping on a banana peel. Good slapstick: George W. Bush making an unscripted speech. I particularly like clever word play. "When the president learned that sectarians polled against him, he called for an immediate invasion of Sectaria." That's funny. The buddhist approaching the hot dog vendor and saying, "make me one with everything" is funny too. Most of my life when viewed from my distant perspective - I am within a couple of decades of getting close to old - has been a laugh riot. Too much of it bad slapstick, but lots of straight forward funny as well. What an idiot I've been. Most of your life when viewed from my distant perspective has been a laugh riot as well. What an idiot you've been. And the funniest of all are the people who take themselves seriously. They are seriously idiots, so let's get together and laugh them out of office. How about Seinfeld for president? Robin Williams? Jim Carrey? Hillary Clinton? Now we're talking funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the president heard that 2 brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq, he gravely asked, "How many is a brazilian?" That's funny too.

Zendoc said...

Yes it is and,I fear,a direct quote.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»