Monday, July 31, 2006

Mostly Sports

My head is in the clouds and so are my feet... and everything else. Couldn't see a thing out-da-windas when I first got up, but now, three cuppas deep, the sky is starting to lift off and an actual horizon is making an appearance.

Horizon is a good word because it has a z in it. I think the z is our most used but least written letter. Think about everytime you write s but say z. Pleaze, for instance. And all our plurals. Catz in the hatz and batz in the belfryz. What'z the deal with that?

You can tell I'm at a loss this morning. There's no subject knocking on my frontal lobes saying let me out, let me out. Unless it's sports. Sports are always there. I started Pat Conroy's "The Losing Season" last night and only managed to put it down when its pages and my eyes slammed shut simultaneously. When a great writer brings his eloquence to my favorite sport, basketball, it's an exquisite pleasure on a par with searching for cameltoe. (Far better actually, but I needed a joke there.) Conroy's prologue by itself is a small masterpiece. The guy is a tormented "Tragic Romantic" and has the verbal skills to make you understand exactly what that is. I plan on spending a large part of today absorbing his "4" point of view on his senior basketball season at The Citadel. A losing season at that. (My senior season at LHS we were 1 win 20 losses. I think I can relate. The team that we beat for that one win went 20 and 1. Their only loss was to us. That's why they play the games. Cool.)

I got to Conroy after I had watched five innings of the Sox/Angels game. Sox got pounded. This was only the second Sox game all year where we here in Panama got an English speaking feed and both times Curt Shilling, who may have to change his name to Half Pence, got spanked like a red headed step child. (I threw in that cliche for my son Roll On Deodorant Head as it is one of his favorites.) And while this was happening the Yankees got Bobby Abreu to sell his soul and join them in New York. Bummer.

A book I read in Spanish earlier this year, "El Demonio and Senorita Prym" has hit No. 22 on the NYTimes Bestseller list in English. The demon in this one, contrary to popular belief, was not George Steinbrenner.

If I quit now, I can catch the second half of Sportscenter.

No comments: