Thursday, July 06, 2006

Inspiration and The Blues

I'm sitting here bright and awake, but once again, uninspired. What is inspiration anyway? I mean apart from the old saw that says it's two parts sweat, one part vodka martini. Yeah, I know perseverence is one of the synonyms bandied about for inspiration, but any word that has severe as part of it can't be all good. You just never hear severe used in a happy context. It's always, "she has a severe case of this or that" or "he's had a severe heart event." Heart event. Yeah that's a good one too. Can you get tickets to those? I had a severe recovery from my pneumonia. It just doesn't work I tell ya, so I'm ruling out perseverence. You also hear hard work bandied about as the key to inspiration. This one's truly a crock. Hard work. Next time you see some guy swinging a sledge or digging a hole, ask him if he feels inspired. Don't stand too close though, he might be inspired to lend you his shovel. Can it be luck, good fortune, joss, karma? Nah, too much brilliant stuff out there to be chance. I have heard it said that inspiration is just another way of saying talent, but, Damn! I hope THAT'S not right. I hate being left behind. Nope, I'm thinking the old axiom I started with is the only answer. Two parts vodka martini, one part sweat. I'll be right back.

Kenneth Lay has had a heart event. A SEVERE heart event. This event will be the inspiration for millions of written words. I may even toss out a few. He was the potato chip guy, right? Just kidding. Even I know about Enron and what I know could fill up a darn big thimble. I don't like to speak badly of the dead but sometimes it's called for. Hitler was a bastard, Stalin was a son-of-a-bitch, you know, like that. I don't think old Ken is going to make their list, but it will be interesting to see what is written about him in the coming weeks. Kenneth Lay dead is just the first.

The Blues versus The Blues is the World Cup's final match up. France against Italy and both teams calling themselves the Blues. That's the color not the music. I am rooting for France and I have a good sound, ah sound, reason for doing so. They have two players whose names I really like to say, Zinedane Zidane and Thierry Henri. Go Blues.

No comments: