Thursday, September 28, 2006

Be Serious

I can't be funny anymore. I can't even try to be funny. I've just read an article that says we have over done the funny thing and we have to get serious again. Apparently we suffer from the Seinfeld Effect, to wit, everyday life is funny, therefore my life is funny, and in truth, most people can't pull that off because, most people and their lives are NOT funny. Or so the writer contends.

Hhmmm.

This is very deep. It speaks to the very nature of personality. I think (there I go again with the headaches) that if you see the world as a funny place and life itself as a funny endeavor, then by all means, carry on matey. On the other hand, if you see the world and life as otherwise then be true to that otherwise. Unless, of course, the otherwise is sick, twisted and evil like the people who serve canned spinach and fundamentalist anythings. In those cases, intervention by funny people will be necessary. Should that fail, the STE's should be banished to a non funny place and be quarantined with other non funny people. Any of the Red states will do.

The other hilarious bit I read this morning was the list of the most banned books. The Harry Potter series led the way with "To Kill a Mocking Bird" a close second. No explanations were given for why any of the books on the list were banned, but it's fairly easy to deduce why these first two should be heaved onto the fire. Potter is magical fantasy and we newly serious people don't do fantasy and there is no justification for killing mocking birds. They are too small for a decent meal and besides, they taste funny. Funny is out.

So enough of this having fun stuff for me. I've got to get on with my serious day in my serious life. Charly, hand me my glasses. Not those, the Grouch ones with the nose and the mustache. I want to make an impression at the bank.

No comments: