Friday, September 22, 2006

Nothing

Hugo Chavez, the president of Venezuela, taking the floor at the U.N. the day after Bush had made his speech, said, " The Devil was here yesterday. I can still smell the sulphur." I don't want to rely on news to inspire my blog, I'd rather write about absolutely nothing, which is one of my favorite topics, but old Hugo cracked me up. "I can still smell the sulphur." The man has style.

He also used the word hegemony alot. That's a good word. I had to look it up. It means a country imposing its views on another country. Well, c'mon, what upstanding All American country would do a thing like that? It's a mystery to me. Anybody know?

But enough of that, let's talk about nothing. Nothing reared its ugly head while I was sleeping the other night, interrupting a pleasant dream about a girl I used to know in High School covered in chocolate chip cookie dough. One minute I'm mixing the batter and the next...nothing. It remained nothing for quite some time after that until my dog licked my face and woke me up to something. That being, of course, a dog licking my face. Where does the nothing go when you are on to something? And why is it so hard to get to nothing when you try for it? I was out on the blacony the other day for a good fifteen minutes following my breath in and out and om-ing to beat the band and couldn't get to nothing for nothing. There was always something. First it was why is that dog barking and then it was why is that kid crying and after that it was are they going to show The Ryder Cup on ESPN, the extra sensory perception network and then a whole stream of things like one liners from my subconscious. What's the deal with that. I was looking for a little relaxing nothing and instead I get a hit parade of my current concerns. That Ryder cup one, by the way, was way up the list. Right after the Bronco something and the one about what's that smell. Anyway, I'm going to leave you now and go consider nothing for awhile longer because, honestly, I've got nothing...else.

No comments: