Saturday, September 16, 2006

Keeping Abreast

The televison shows that are aired here in English have Spanish subtitles. In a perfect world, that is, in my perfect world, the shows aired in Spanish would have Spanish subtitles. (Also in my perfect world I'd be taller, but that's another blog.) I can read Spanish fairly well, but I don't hear Spanish worth a damn. Okay, I hear it, I just don't understand the meaning of what sounds like one long word. That word arrives at my ears faster than the many words on paper arrive at my eyes. At least that was the case until last night. Last night my reading skill was put to the test when "Justicia Ciega" (Boston Legal renamed Blind Justice) came on and there was no sound track. We have been following the show since we discovered it a week or so back and wanted to keep abreast of the ongoing story lines, so I just read and translated aloud the subtitles. They come and go muy rapido. Like flash cards of sentences.

Denny Crane pleasure remember time affair we you look hot same. So Alan no es possiblay me understand look at gorgeous can't expect comment no. Judge client suffers objection science intelligent design neither irrelevant schools we won. Man little will again kill sorry. Women cigars should have. My name is Schmidt.

Yeah. And me Tarzan you Jane.

In other news, I read this morning that nine Nobel Peace Prize winners meeting in Denver have come up with what evil is, to wit: racism, poverty and environmental destruction. I've got no argument there, although I would add long Par 4's to the list. That and green peppers. Green peppers are evil too. (The New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders and Rap music go without saying.)

According to some group I read about somewhere... an infallible source, the Dutch have now surpassed Americans as the tallest people on the planet. In my next life I'm coming back as a Vanderwalton.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much learning have you to do. Spanish study you must. Funny say you, listen spanish you can't. Some say, English either.

Zendoc said...

Put your Star Wars box set away and go to your room. You're grounded.

Anonymous said...

c'mon, that was funny.

Zendoc said...

Yes it was. Go to your room anyway.