Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Swell Veldt Part 9

Rhinos are a not particularly social animal. Rarely will you catch them clustered around the water cooler discussing Desperate Mouse Lives with others of their kind before setting off about their daily routines. No, they prefer solitude to company, which in the grand scheme of things, is probably to the betterment of all as Rhinos are quite cranky at the sight of the rising sun. Their attitude ascends from cranky steadily along to irritable during the day and I would be remiss if I failed to point out the completely appalling dispositions they achieve by nightfall. It was, therefore, as Miles Everhard squinted through his binoculars at the great black beast pawing clouds of dust around him, that he was looking at an animal, it would be fair to say, who was not in a good mood.

Miles made one of those slow motion, dry swallows lacking a trace of liquid that end in an audible gulp and reached for his flask.

“What is it Miles? Cynthia said, intercepting the flask and taking a belt herself. Lady Sackable was a modern woman and believed that the fair sex were quite capable of doing what men were doing, especially if what men were doing was shots. “What do you see?”

“Oh nothing, really, Lady Ess, just the longest horn I’ve ever spied, quite intimidating actually, and the fellow sporting it looks somewhat menacing as well. Here then, take a look for yourself.”

Miles and Cynthia exchanged flask and binoculars with Miles getting several quick swigs in the process while Lady Ess adjusted focus on the distant rhino. When at last the image sharpened, she jumped back at the seeming closeness of the great beast.

“Oh my word,” she exclaimed as she regained her composure and refitted the glass to her eyes. “He’s magnificent. I’ve never seen such a horn. Oh Miles, I must get my hands on it.”

“And so you shall if I have anything to say about it and I do have something to say about it” said Miles.

What he said next was a shock to no one who knew him well. He said in the best I’m in charge here tone he could muster, “Noblong, come over here. I’ve got a job for you.”

No comments: