Saturday, September 09, 2006

Denver Football Fare

Although Denver is my team, I've never liked the name Broncos. First off, a bronco, bucking or otherwise, is a wild horse that cowboys catch and tame. "Break" is the term used for this taming. Who wants a team that can be broken to some other teams will? Especially by Cowboys... or Raiders. And secondly, Broncos is a funny word to say. Brahhn Cohz. I like horses though, and I like the fierce horsehead logo on the side of Denver's helmets so I won't advocate abandoning the name entirely. Instead I am now officially starting the movement to alter the name to The Denver Wild Horses That Can't Be Tamed. Who's with me?

Lest you think me frivolous, I feel I should point out that I was the one who lobbied year after year for the Broncos to change their featured color from orange to blue, noting that orange was a nice color on fruit, but rarely seen on winning sports teams. No team featuring orange, to this day, has ever won a Super Bowl. Tampa Bay claims their uniform color is orange, but it is really a shade of red. When the Broncos listened to me at last and changed their unies to predominately blue, they immediately won two championships and have pretty much been in the hunt ever since. Tampa Bay after tweaking their orange to red also got to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Attention to detail matters. Team nicknames, colors and especially the selection of cheerleaders and their outfits go a long way towards making a team a winner.

That said, here is my prediction for this years Denver Wild Horses That Can't Be Tamed:
12 wins 4 losses. The losses will be to New England, Pittsburgh and Kansas City on the road and to Baltimore at home. Denver has difficulty beating teams like The Ravens who wear purple. Check their record against Baltimore and Minnesota and you'll see what I mean. Ultimately, The Wild Horses That Can't Be Tamed will make it to the AFC Championship Game where they will lose to, and this is ironic, The Colts. The Colts will then go on to beat the Giants in a Manning vs. Manning sequel to their first game of the season shootout.

One final thought. If you think The Denver Wild Horses That Can't Be Tamed is a bit unweildly then consider this: I just read a book entitled "There's Nothing In This Book That I Meant To Say." So see, it's a trend.

No comments: