Thursday, October 25, 2007

Addicted

The challenge of the blank blog. It's an interesting hobby. I have decided that that is what this is, a hobby. (I like those double "thats".) It all started back in Arboles when Charly's woowoo mentor Sharmin consulted her woowoo charms, amulets, stones, vibes, and intuition about the subject of Doc's ennui. (I threw in the word ennui so #2 Son would have something to work with in the comment section.) She decided that what I needed was to be doing something creative. From this suggestion came Woowoo Charly giving me morning time to write and I've been hard at it ever since. I had, of course, dabbled in the old putting pen to paper over the years and always found it a wonderful place for the monkeymind to roam, but never on any sort of a regular (I was going to say disciplined, but that's contrary to the spirit of the monkeymind) basis. Now, after several years of scribbling, I find a morning without the blank blog challenge lacking the fulfilled feeling and the high, yes that's the word, high, needed to make my day. It is true then, I am an addict. Some would say a write-aholic, but then, some are really stupid.

I post this admission not only to clear the air and my conscience, but also to help you, the enablers. You need intervention and I hope to see you at al-anon soon. Remember, the first step is the one I've taken here which is to get the truth out and let it fly free. If it returns to you, then lock it up and keep it close to your heart or other favorite body parts.

This is not a trivial subject. This is something important and must be dealt with according to Hoyle. A trivial subject would be Brittany Spears or George Bush. I urge you therefore to take action immediately. STOP READING NOW! Okay, not quite now, but soon. I promise. I'm almost finished.

I'm just kidding. You know that, right? I mean I really want you to keep on reading.
You have to keep on reading. You must keep on reading! All the way to the end!

(Man we addicts are needy.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Addicted - of course we are. Keep putting the old pen to the paper!

Zendoc said...

Thanks Don. And you too!

Anonymous said...

From Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana:

Discipline is a difficult word for most of us. It conjures up images of somebody standing over you with a stick, telling you that you're wrong.

But self-discipline is different. It's the skill of seeing through the hollow shouting of your own impulses and piercing their secret.

They have no power over you. It's all a show, a deception. Your urges scream and bluster at you; they cajole; they coax; they threaten; but they really carry no stick at all.

You give in out of habit. You give in because you never really bother to look beyond the threat. It is all empty back there.

There is only one way to learn this lesson, though. The words on this page won't do it.

But look within and watch the stuff coming up - restlessness, anxiety, impatience, pain - just watch it come up and don't get involved.

Much to your surprise, it will simply go away. It rises, it passes away. As simple as that.

There is another word for self-discipline. It is patience.

Zendoc said...

"The only discipline worth a damn is self discipline." I said that.