Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Dancing

Another fine morning. I can hear John Denver crooning "sunshine on my shoulders makes me... sweaty" in the background. Well not really, but I needed to get that old joke in.

So alrighty then. Last night we watched Dancing With Third Rate Stars, Has Beens, Never Were's and Who The Hell Are They Anyway, a show with enormous ratings and women with skimpy costumes which may, in part, account for the enormous ratings. For my own self, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I most enjoy the men "stars" being put through their paces as they are paired with beautiful women wearing daring costumes who actually know how to dance which is to say they are adept at moving all those parts that make them women in an alluring fashion. This may account for my being unable this morning to actually name the men "stars" who performed. Last night was Banish the Baddie Night which means one couple was to be eliminated, a thing that doesn't occur until the end of the show and is preceded by sophomoric and contrived drama and - and this is the part that will keep me from ever watching Banish Night again - 4750 commercials aired roughly ten at time and five minutes of show apart. If the math doesn't seem to work, eliminate more show because there were at least that many commercials. I stayed up and subjected myself to this onslaught only because I wanted to see Boston Legal, the series that follows Dancing. Along with Two and a Half Men, it is the only regular television I watch apart from movies, sports and the now, more than just occasional, news flash about some Republican politician peeing all over himself. I do enjoy these last and they're usually commercial free. Dancing With is apparently on two nights a week, one night to compete, one night to delete, and I am now looking forward to part one, in which the professional dancers vie to see which one can most keep you focused on them and off their mostly lame partners. Should, however, this show be as commercially riddled as last night's, I think I'll just soft shoe my way out to the patio and then two step 'till Legal comes on.

I'm Henerey the eighth I am, Henery the eighth....It's a curse I tell you. A curse.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Must teach Jackson that song. I always find it rather soothing in its insipid cheerfulness.

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to The Wire right now, watching DVDs on my laptop.

On days when I'm waiting for netflix to send the next installment, I watch Dancing with the Stars online.

There's something so compelling about it...and yet I feel so greasy after watching a whole hour.

The equivalent of eating a whole bag of potato chips in one sitting. Junk food for the brain.

Good thing I read The New Yorker every night before bed!