Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blither and Blather

The sun has gone back to teasing us. Mornings are crystal, squinty eyed bright. Around midday the clouds creep in just above the tree line and the sun takes a powder. After that it's duck for cover or cover for ducks, here comes the rain.

RTGFKAR, friend Bonnie and I are off to Daveed this a.m. to take care of this and that. This is getting Ramon's visa extended, that is shopping for our houses. Bonnie needs weather stripping and we need electrical odds and ends.

I'm treading water once again. I've got 45 minutes to stay afloat and then we've got to leave. This then, is killing time. My uncle, Fred Hooey, who wasn't really my uncle, used to say, "if you have to kill time, work it to death." So that's what I'm doing, working the keyboard, working the monkeymind and working my coffee cup at least half to death.

Yesterday, while having lunch on the patio outside Amigos Restaurant, RTGFKAR and I couldn't - for the longest time - come up with a name. The name, which I eventually dug from lazy brain cells, was Raquel Welch. I find this disturbing. It's not disturbing that I couldn't remember over the course of the entire weekend the name of a wishbone quarterback from either Oklahoma or Nebraska who is now an elected politician, because, really, who cares. But Raquel? C'mon, she had memorable qualities.

RTGFKAR and I also decided, when not trying to withdraw names for our memory banks, that burgled is a funny word. Not its definition of course, just the word itself. Say burgled three times in succession and it will make you smile.

From these examples you can tell that we engage and deeply enjoy serious, intellectual conversations while dining al fresco here in Jubilado land.

A guy sitting at a table next to us made friends with Gus who was along for the ride and the table scraps. He told us his wife had just run away with another guy and she'd taken his dog. He was very upset. He really missed his dog.

Alrighty then. That's enough chit chat. Time for the serious stuff.

Whoops, there's the phone. Gotta go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now, if it's true as you say that your whole life has been moving from one distraction to another (I think we all live that way, we just don't know it), then "if you have to kill time, work it to death" is your motto for sure. You work time - to death - like nobody's business.

Me? I think I give time a breather, it can happily pass me by while I dream away...

Anonymous said...

I like your blog image! Perfect! Just turn your head upside down and see what falls out! What fun!

Like Rinpoche told me: "learn to love your internal tv. No one can steal it. No cable bill to pay. It's always with you. Just tune in and see what's playing!"

Unknown said...

When sister owned the towing company I used to enjoy listening to the police scanner now and again, and always found burgled a great word.

I also love the image on your blog.

Zendoc said...

My internal TV is always tuned to situation comedies because my external life seems to be one.