Tuesday, October 09, 2007

It's Too Early

If we experience the reality of other planes of consciousness, it makes us a lot less anxious about our lives, because we have a context for them. Ram Dass

Alrighty then. I wonder if Ram was passing out the other planes of consciousness pills as he said that.

I'm barely conscious myself. Prince Bozo the wonder dog known as Gus sat beside my bed at pillow level and whined this morning until I got up and let him out. It was still dark. You'd think he'd at least go pee immediately, but no, his royalness had to sniff around for five minutes or so or, in fact, until both my eyes were open and my heart was thumping fast enough to permit movement towards the coffee pot. While I was shoveling the dark brown grains into the filter part of same, adding water and then impatiently waiting for the miracle liquid to appear, Gus was watching the dawn of the day happen. He finds both dawn and dusk to be wonders, but remains unimpressed when I turn lights on and off. How does he know the difference?

Being abruptly awakened from my alternate plane of consciousness, my deep dream state, does little for my disposition in this my light dream state. Ram and the other Buddha boys are always telling me I'm not completely awake, but then, how do they know? I'm present. I meditate. I think. I feel. I can take a joke. Nevertheless, I sense they are either on something or onto something, so I'll go along and call my waking reality a light dream state although it seems to me that I've got it backwards. When I'm asleep I can fly. When I'm awake I'm earthbound. Which seems the lighter experience to you? Of course, sometimes I can't tell the difference and this may be one of those times. I'm going back to bed for further examination of this conundrum.

Somebody watch the dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I like this one!

Reminds me that almost every night for the past two weeks I've had lucid dreams.

You know, when you have a moment in your dream when you're conscious that you're dreaming?

Most of the time, I'm just like, "cool dream!" but sometimes, I think "hmmm, I would like this dream more if ____ were like this" and...poof! suddenly my dream changes.

Cool.