Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sorry - Sports

I'm Henery the Eighth I am. Henery the Eighth I am I am. I got married to the widow next door. She's been married seven times before, and....

Okay, now you're stuck with that song in your head.

Oh, no. Wait. I apologise. That's evil. No one should have to have that song jangling about their consciousness. Well, maybe OJ.

Which makes me think of sports. I try not to write about them too often as there are a plethora of bloggers already in that business, but even the word plethora conjures sports as it was Howard Cosell, a sports announcer, who brought the word into common usage. Sports are there and to ignore them completely is to block out an important part of American culture. I say important in the sense that anything that entertains is important. Not vital, important.

I'm a team guy myself. I grew up playing the big three, football, baseball, basketball and learning the values inherent in cooperating and working in harmony with others to achieve a satisfying end. I've played some individual sports, racket ball, tennis, boxing, track and field, but never found the individual accomplishment as rewarding as sharing a victory celebration with teammates. I exclude golf here as golf somehow transcends sports and takes on a more mystical meaning for me that is summed up in this quote from Arnold Palmer: Golf is the sport in which the walls between the the natural and the supernatural are rubbed the thinnest." Woowoogolf. And yet, even having subscribed to that, I find a greater delight in watching the joyful pile of players at the pitchers mound after a meaningful baseball victory than Tiger's fist pump following his latest triumph. Both are good though, and I'm happy I get to watch.

All of which brings me to the Colorado Rockies. I am not sure I have ever seen before a team flatly refusing to lose despite seemingly hopeless circumstances. I will give a nod to the 04 Red Sox who won four straight against the Yankees after being down by three in a seven game series, but that was pretty much a Goliath versus Goliath match up and lacked the underdog element. The Rockies, with one of the smallest payrolls in baseball, won 14 of their last 15 games over the three teams in front of them to qualify for post season play. The last game, a thirteen inning lose and your season is over affair, lasted four hours and forty minutes and saw the Rocks overcome a two run deficit in the last inning to get to their pitching mound pile up. Wonderful drama ran throughout the game and there were heroes aplenty for both teams. It was truly one of those contests where the viewer is sorry that either team had to lose.

I could go on, but I'll spare you further details and just wind this down with one small note, a plea really, a cry of hope for another seemingly hopeless bunch. You got it...

Go Broncos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget that, while not a Goliath, the Rockies are in fact evil and do not deserve to be in the post season.

Go Broncos!

Zendoc said...

Rockies' management is evil, Rockies players are good. If you wish to fimd evil throughout, you will have to turn to the Yankees.

Unknown said...

We tried to stay up to watch the whole game, but my early to rise with baby schedule forced us to sleep in the 11th. Pretty exciting stuff. Sox Rockies world series?

Anonymous said...

ubject: The Crockies

After reading your blog, I have to say I'm hurt. Let me explain.
I have always been a baseball fan. You know that. From the days of Rusty Staub, Tom Seaver, Tommie Agee, Bud Harrelson and yes even Clint Hurdle ( I remember the cover of Sports Ill. stating him as being the next best thing). I walked the streets of the city seeking signatures for a baseball- only stadium-without it we couldn't get a team. When we were granted one, my season ticket priority number was less than 100, and I loved going to the games and loved "our team".
Then they poisoned my daughter.
I understand the "underdog" factor, and the resentment that comes with east-coast bias, But you can't separate the players from ownership and management. They are all part of the same organization. They all profit from success. If you want to blog about it then tell the world how these "good guys" and their slick lawyers embarrassed your son at a televised press conference (implying extortion), all the while putting tickets in the shirt pockets of the reporters. Blog about how your baby granddaughter had to be held down while being stuck with needles during painful blood draws- week after week for nearly 2 years ( tears of anger and hurt in your sons' eyes). Blog about how her immune system may have been weakened, allowing your granddaughter to contract pneumonia, enduring 3 day stays in the hospital, while her parents had no insurance- because the insurance companies denied her- due to a pre- existing condition, yes lead poisoning). Blog about how these medical bills caused your sons family to have to declare bankruptcy, which still effects their credit. Blog about how your granddaughters health and cognitive abilities continue to be monitored.
In my opinion the Colorado Rockies payroll should be even smaller than it is.
They say time heals all wounds- well not if it is lead poisoning. Ask Mattel Toys.
GO PHILLIES.....PHUCK THE ROCKIES

Zendoc said...

You've pretty much covered it #1. As clarification for those who don't know, I'll add that the Rockies issued commemorative key chains that looked like pewter but were heavily leaded and Keely, #1's daughter and my grandaughter, was poisoned when she played with and chewed on her daddies keys and chain. The Rockies issued a warning and a call back for the key chains, but the damage was done. After declaring at a press conference that "Keely would be taken care of", the Rockies have done nothing whatsoever.

After years of ignoring the Rockies and adopting a new team to follow, the Red Sox, I was somehow lured back to the home team most likely because I read the Denver Post on line each day. Only one of the players on this year's Rockies team was with the club when Keely was sickened. I do despise Rockies management from the owners on down to but short of the players. I can't see how any fault lies with them. I have written the Denver Post sports columnists via email on three occassions urging them to investigate the Keely Walton case, but they never show any inclination to do so. I will try again.

To my son I say I'm sorry I hurt you. Giving you pain is something I never wish to do...ever.But I can't put hate in my heart for the players because their bosses are assholes. I just don't know how to do that. I apologise for being so insensitive as to write a blog on the Rockies knowing you would read it. Makes me pretty much of an asshole too.