Friday, June 30, 2006

Bela Lugosi and Chimichanga

Dizzy in Brooklyn says she likes to say chimichanga, munchkin and pocahantas. Those are good words all, though the last is a name, a thing of no matter in the feels good to say them department. My favorites, in fact, are Bela Lugosi and Fernando Lamas. Since moving to Panama and learning to roll my R's I've added dozens more. Any name starting with an R like Rolando or Roberto can be trilled at length for maximum effect. Rrrrrrrrrroww- bear- toe!
Other word/names that give me kick are bungalo, Botswana and belly-button. The hard lip blast of a B gets a word off and running. In Spanish the letter B is barely pronounced. B's and V's are almost identical soft sounds. Dizzy also says there are words some people don't like to say. She gives moist and nipples as examples. I agree with nipples. I don't like tits either. I'm talking the words here, not the actual, you know, things. I especially don't like saying scatological words. Fart is my least favorite. It's not even fun to type it. My wife likes the word languid. It sort of sounds like what it means.

Here in peerless Panama (alliteration is always fun) the sky is so dark this morning that I have to use a desk lamp to see my keyboard. It is truly storming out there although the rain is inconsistent. What I mean by that is, sometimes it falls hard and sometimes it falls really hard. Doesn't bother me though. I have no problem with moist.

Took a timeout to watch Argentina vs. Germany in The Copa Del Mundial. Germany in Spanish is Alemania which is fun to say and pronounced ah-lay-mahn-ya, although ale mania works for me too and isn't ale/beer mania what Germany is all about? Argentina is impossible to say in Spanish without summoning a lugie in the back of your throat. Don't like lugies so I stick with the English version. Alemania won the game in a post overtime shootout. Yeah, I know, you're thrilled.

The women's U.S. Open Golf Tournament is coming on now. It was fogged out yesterday. Fogged isn't a particularly funny word to say, but it's a funny word to look at. I'm rooting for Lorena Ochoa and Annika Sorenstam because they are a lot easier to say than Jeong Jang and Hee Wan Han although that last one sounds like some kind of a request. Another Korean in the field is Grace Park which is either a place or an order.

Monyahnah.

No comments: