Saturday, June 24, 2006

"Having Sex"

When did expressions like "having sex" or "had sex with" first arise? (So to speak.) I'm thinking the Nineties. I don't recall ever hearing people use the word sex to indicate the act itself before then. Prior to The Nineties, sex was just the category in which the act was done. It is a proper usage though. I looked it up in my Wester's New World Order Eat Your Heart Out OED and the fourth definition given says sex is the act of intercourse. I know for sure we didn't "have sex" when I was a teen in The Fifties. There were rumors of other kids "doing it," but these were seldom confirmed and "it" was hazily defined. Watching old Fifties televison makes "doing it" even more suspect. The people were all so clean and well dressed. And women's hair? Yikes, It would take hours to put those do's back together after a bout of torrid "undoing it." The rare bedroom shot on a Fifties show revealed twin beds that looked more utilitarian than inviting and they were always neatly made. We teens did have a few things though, that fell into the category of sex. These were petting, dry humping, copping a feel and talking about "doing it." Not a very satisfying lot. In The Sixties, Ah the Sixties -you have to say that, "Ah The Sixties" if you were actually there - people didn't "have sex' either. They balled. They balled as in "I balled a really hot chick last night" or "we were balling when my parents walked in." Women were Chicks then or Birds if you were British. Which may be why almost everybody "got layed" in The Seventies. Like an egg. Sure there were a few people "getting their rocks off," but there was nary a soul "having sex." And then came The Eighties when we all "got fucked," but I'm off the topic of sex now and on to politics. I don't really remember what the euphemism for intercourse was at the time but I did hear this a lot: Ever since I learned about Herpes I don't even kiss anymore. Oh yeah, now I've got it. People were "sleeping together" in The Eighties. Apparently fatigue played a large part in Eighties sex. So it has to be The Nineties when Clinton "did not have sex with that woman" when "having sex" first came to mean "doing it." (I'm a Fifties kid, remember.) That's my best guess anyway. I kind of like the phrase. It is to the point without the hint of academia like "intercourse" or the too often insincerity of "making love" while not reekin o the nasty like "fucking," "balling" "getting layed" and the like. On the other hand, "let's have sex" sounds like someting you might say when putting down the dinner menu. "I'll have sex, you get the chicken and we'll share."

And speaking of sharing, I have to share this: Jerry Falwell's favorite baseball team is..............
The New York Yankees. Oh yeah, like that's a big surprise.

Finally, how about a comment? I have forgotten who I am talking to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's because you're having sex with yourself. I mean, choking the chicken, rattling the snake, mastering the monkey, wacking the winky, beating the meat, enjoying some time off, getting to know you, squeezin for a reason, poking the palm, and just plain beating off!

Anonymous said...

That's because you're having sex with yourself. I mean, choking the chicken, rattling the snake, mastering the monkey, wacking the winky, beating the meat, enjoying some time off, getting to know you, squeezin for a reason, poking the palm, and just plain beating off!