Thursday, June 22, 2006

Blogging Rapido

I have to hurry this morning, the U.S. plays Ghana in about an hour. Is the U.S. Ghana win? I doubt it. (Yeah, I know, the pun is too obvious.) I've really got nothing itching to come out and find a home in cyber space today, so maybe a match between these two world soccer powers, (yuk yuk) will fill me with inspiration and tomorrow I can write a long prosaic blog about "the beautiful sport" as it's known in the parts of the planet where people can, apparently, tie their shoelaces with their feet.

Okay, here's an aside that came as a revelation to me which is no big thing in itself what with the effects of the Big Bang and the Universe unfolding around us and all that, but you might like to know it if you don't already. I was going to write something in the last paragraph about the words prosaic and blog not being compatible thinking that prosaic meant pretty or flowery or something along those lines, but because, I think, I've never actually used that word before, I decided to look it up in my Webster's New World College Dictionary in lieu of my Webster's Old World High School Dictionary which I've misplaced. Prosaic means, like prose, unlike poetry, specifically heavy, flat, unimaginative, commonplace, dull and the ordinary details of everyday life. Who da thunk it? So prosaic and blog do go together and I can't go back to the first paragraph and insert my disclaimer. The sentence is correct as it stands. Bummer.

As I was saying, tomorrow I may be inspired to write a dull, ordinary, comonplace account of the U.S. / Ghana soccer match. No I won't! You wouldn't read it if I channeled Byron or Shelley or Yeats or (insert funny name of your choice here. Liberace? Gilbert Godfrey? Tito Jackson?) One of the four things I know is that the word soccer sends U.S. men scurrying for their tv remotes. No way are they going to read about it. Another thing I know is that the Norwegian Navy is the best one they have. So not to worry. No soccer. Except in passing. Which they do with their feet. After they've tied their shoes.

And looking about for one last idea to complete today's blogginess, I find on my not read pile of books two titles calling for attention. The first is "Hunting Unicorns." I may not get to that for awhile. The second, "Big Bosoms and Square Jaws is screaming read me, read me! I hope it's well illustrated.

No comments: