Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dreaming

I dreamed I was awake last night trying to get to sleep. Talk about a nightmare. I was lying there, in my dream, thinking about the U.S. getting drubbed by a Czech team that featured a 6 foot 10 inch bald guy as their best player and it was keeping me awake. Well that and the Will and Grace Christmas show rerun I had watched earlier in the day. Christmas. This is June, isn't it? You can see why even in a dream these things would be disturbing. I probably shouldn't be too upset about that last thing though. Holdays here are all out-of-whack. For instance, Panamanians have no idea when to celebrate the 4th of July. They do it sometime in November and they do it twice! Both times without a turkey or a barbecue grill. So I lay there thinking in my dream that I have to push this stuff out of my head and get some rest. I begin to dream I'm counting. I don't do the sheep thing, I just count. Slowly. Backwards. From a hundred. It doesn't work. Pretty soon I'm dreaming the clock thing. You know, the if I go to sleep now I'll get five hours of sleep. Four hours of sleep. Three hours of sleep. Luckily it's only a dream, I think in my dream, or I'd feel terrible in the morning.

It's Tuesday morning. I feel terrible. If I didn't know better I would swear I'd been up half the night. I made chile for dinner last night. Made it spicy. Somewhere around midnight, just before I started dreaming I was awake, the chile made a bold attempt to escape my body. Through my chest. I thought of Sigourney Weaver and her pals. I tried to imagine what a chile induced Alien would look like. I kept getting the Geico Gecko in a sombrero and really nasty teeth. Just lay real still, I thought, and it will subside. That's when I fell asleep and dreamnt I was awake.

I read an article on the net this morning that said a chemical in beer, the hops part specifically, helps to prevent prostate cancer. It also pointed out, however, that for it to be of significant value, a person would have to drink 17 beers or more per day. Better get started.

No comments: